1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wondering what went wrong

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lapetitechickens, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Lapetitechickens

Lapetitechickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2010
    Soon to be Northern WI.
    Hello all,

I was incubating 18 Serama eggs in a Hova bator incubator with egg turner & fan, the temps. were kept at 98 degrees, the humidity was kept at between 40% & 50%. Serama eggs hatch at about 21 days.

At day 17 I removed the egg turner in preperation in for the eggs to hatch. On the 22 day 1 egg hatched, a healthy chick.
    On the 24th. deciding that none of the other eggs would hatch I started cracking eggs. I found 5 infertile, I know this happens:) but I also found the rest of the eggs contained fully formed chicks, the yolks were still visable.

My question is what went wrong? Could they have possibly gotten chilled when I moved them from the turner? Even though they were wrapped in a towel?

Or is it that temps., humidity, or the incubator????[​IMG]

Maybe I should just purchase adults & let them do the incubating:rolleyes:

I would love any help anyone wants to give:D

2. DANNY

DANNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    I believe you are running too cool. You need to be running about 100 degrees.

3. JenEric Farms

JenEric Farms GOOGLE GENIUS

Oct 31, 2007
    Maine
    Did your temperature remain the same after you removed the turner?

4. Lapetitechickens

Sep 20, 2010
    Soon to be Northern WI.
    Quote:Yes I made sure the temps. were the same.

5. Lapetitechickens

Sep 20, 2010
    Soon to be Northern WI.
    Quote:The information that I was reading about how to incubate Serama eggs said that 102 degrees or higher would kill the embryo's, so I didn't want it to get up to 100. But you could be right that 100 degrees is'nt too hot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by