Wonderings about choosing a rooster.

Hey everybody!
My chickens are now 12 weeks old and im starting to wonder about choosing a rooster. I appear to have about 5 out of 10 :barnie

One of them is way bigger then the others, hes a Sussex (most likely) the others are Sussex as well and cream legbar.
I was wondering if thats a good sign for a breeding rooster or is that a sign of something being wrong?
He has always been way bigger, they have been in the same brooder and fed the same. He seems to be pretty submissive to the others, or at least not aggressive so i don´t think hes the number one ruler.

any input? :confused:

I think it's different for everyone. For us it came down to a single incident. We had three buff Brahma cockerels and one was really good looking boy that we were leaning towards keeping. Another one was so-so and the third was mediocre looking. One evening we were out in the lot with the flock when a hawk came flying by. The really good looking guy and the so-so one both ran to the coop pushing the girls aside to hide. The mediocre looking one ran out front of the girls and herded them to the coop and then rared up and stood his ground until the hawk left the area. The other two found new homes and Roo had a home with us for six years until we lost him this spring to natural causes. He fathered a few hundred chicks and kept the chicken yard safe through those years and there was never a time when either one of us couldn't walk into the yard and pick him up and carry him around.

I think it's different for everyone. For us it came down to a single incident. We had three buff Brahma cockerels and one was really good looking boy that we were leaning towards keeping. Another one was so-so and the third was mediocre looking. One evening we were out in the lot with the flock when a hawk came flying by. The really good looking guy and the so-so one both ran to the coop pushing the girls aside to hide. The mediocre looking one ran out front of the girls and herded them to the coop and then rared up and stood his ground until the hawk left the area. The other two found new homes and Roo had a home with us for six years until we lost him this spring to natural causes. He fathered a few hundred chicks and kept the chicken yard safe through those years and there was never a time when either one of us couldn't walk into the yard and pick him up and carry him around.

oh thats such a pretty story! :love

Back
Top Bottom