Wonky Eggs?

Dhkoenig

Songster
Sep 21, 2020
Bergen County New Jersey
Hi All - not sure if it has to do with cold weather (last night's blizzard) (the week before's rain/wind event..) but I found two weird eggs this week. They were both from my Leghorns, I know because they lay white ones and my Buffs lay - well - buff colored ones. A few days ago one of the Leghorn eggs was a bit wonky. Like the bigger side was normal but then the smaller side was a little smaller with a ridge separating the sides. Kindof looked like someone sucked on the smaller side of the egg. Then today I went down and there was a mini-egg in there. Definitely a Leghorn too because it was white but it was like half the size of a normal egg. One of my Leghorns is having a late mold - pinfeathers all around her neck and n big-girl feathers there, and it has been wintery and cold...I have a hunch it is her. She is a bit more frail and "to herself" than the others. I put oyster shells and grit in with their food. What could it be? Should I be worried?

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
It is best to put grit and oyster shell in separate containers from food, so they don’t take too much, but take it as they need it. I have had a few hens lay so-called fart eggs or wind eggs before, some very tiny. I would guess the molt may be part of the problem. There is a body checked egg that may have been the one with the line through it. Pictures of the eggs may help. Are they getting a layer feed or all flock feed? Here is a good article that shows pictures of common egg mistakes and possible causes:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

Top Bottom