Won't go back in the coop

Mikee1948

Songster
8 Years
May 19, 2011
Four nights now I've had to go out and toss the 4 week old chicks back inside the coop. When night falls, they just bunch up in a corner of the run.

Don't feel bad it took mine 3 weeks for everyone to put themselves to bed. Part of the reason I discovered was I had a solar light pointing towards the run which made them huddle up where the light was- that was our fault. I tried all the usual suggestions with putting a light in the coop, coaxing them up with treats etc. and nothing worked! It was frustrating and I thought I was going to be rounding them up for the rest of their lives. Finally one night when I was busy and left them out a little longer and ignored them they all went to bed
yippiechickie.gif
So hold tight, one night they will surprise you!

They go in and out of the coop during the day, but at night they bunch up in a corner of the run.

Ridgerunner is right, if you leave them "cooped up" in the coop for a few days they get it pretty quick, make sure you have food, water, and good ventilation to the coop though, dont want any sick babies

Also I had some that STILL didnt catch on after locking them up so I used treats to trick them into running in, I put a 40 watt bulb in a heat light to make them go in there when its dark because they see the light. That worked on some of them and for the others I had to throw treats into the coop in the evenings, they would go to eat the bread or veggies and I would lock them in, they got the hint and just started running into the coop when they saw me headed out to lock them up lol. Now they are 10-14 weeks old and they all go into the coop by themselves but not until right at dark, its annoying because my other chickens are in bed 30 minutes before dusk so I have to go out twice to lock them up.

Mine did the same thing: bunched up into the corner of the run and making all sorts of racket. I had to place them every night into the coop. About 3-4 days later, they started to go up the ramp on their own.

Ha ha, yeah, last night four of the five headed into the coop just before dark. The fifth one stood like a sentry, in the run watching me. I had to walk away from the run and steal some peeks at her. Once she headed up the ramp, I snuck up on them and closed the coop's door! In for the night!

Mine are full grown and laying eggs. The little boogers still don't go in at night. And now they lay their eggs in the run. *sigh* I've tried it all. I've given up. At this point I figure if they get munched on by a predator, it's they're own darn fault. Stupid birds.

Mine did the same thing when I first got them. They'd all huddle in the corner with each other for security and comfort I guess. They grew out of it and now, well, they don't like being so close to each other, like watching a brothers and sisters grow up....except my boys and girls never do want to be near each other.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom