won't leave the coop without me there

May 9, 2023
I have 8 girls (5 white Plymouth Rocks, 3 Barred Plymouth Rocks ) that were moved to their new digs on 07.04.23. They are 7 weeks old, seem happy, and are eating and drinking, but they will not come out of the coop just yet, unless I call them out. When I walk away, they walk back in.

I also had a hard time putting them up last night. It was as if they were scared of the darker coop. What time is an ideal time to get them back in there without frightening them? Or should they eventually get that they should go in, on their own?

Thank you for any advice!

Attachments

• 20230704_192802.jpg
    20230704_192802.jpg
    584 KB · Views: 42
I have 8 girls (5 white Plymouth Rocks, 3 Barred Plymouth Rocks ) that were moved to their new digs on 07.04.23. They are 7 weeks old, seem happy, and are eating and drinking, but they will not come out of the coop just yet, unless I call them out. When I walk away, they walk back in.

I also had a hard time putting them up last night. It was as if they were scared of the darker coop. What time is an ideal time to get them back in there without frightening them? Or should they eventually get that they should go in, on their own?

Thank you for any advice!
When we introduced our pullets to their new coop, we put an LED light in the coop for the first 3 or 4 nights. After that they would go into the coop without the light at night.

That's a great idea! We do not have electricity to our coop - maybe a solar lamp will do!
They sell those cheap battery powered under the cabinet lights that stick where you put them. That would work and they aren't too expensive. They will be there in the future if you need to see into the coop at night.
Lights

Last edited:
Since we can only see one wall of the coop, is there any natural light inside the coop? Easier to simply have nature light their way, so you're not having to manage lights.

As far as not coming out on their own, this is all very new to them and they obviously feel safe inside. Unless there's a reason why they need to be out, I'd just leave them to it and let them come out when they're ready to.

Back
Top Bottom