Won't stop scratching her eye. Cone?

Bellurd

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 17, 2012
Woodland Hills, Ca
So I have two 7 month EE's with upper respiratory infections that is showing up as bubbles in the eye. They are quarantined in separate bathrooms because they were pecking each other's eye bubbles. ("Hey, you have something in your eye. *peck* Hey, YOU have something in YOUR eye! *peck*" and so on...)
he.gif

I got antibiotic eye drops from the vet today and they seem to be helping but one of them keeps scratching her eye with her dirty foot. She even made it bleed earlier today. Has anyone ever tried making a cone for a chicken like they use for dogs after surgery? Do you think I could successfully make one out of thick papper?

Any advice for getting her to keep her foot out of her eye would be helpful, Thanks!

Bit of an old thread, maybe you've found your answer, maybe not. If you use paper, it'll have to be really thick paper (maybe cardboard would work better even, or a 2 liter bottle cut to fit the chickens head; needs to be light to keep from hindering eating/drinking) and it will need to be secured well which will be difficult. Not sure on how to keep them from scratching, it's not real easy to do even for myself when I have allergies which this would be similar to. Maybe you could wrap the foot in gause or vetrap/something similar to not necessarily keep them from scratching but to keep them from harming themselves with their nails.

Even a cut up/shredded tshirt with some tape may work.

God bless,
Daniel.

Thank you so much for your response!
smile.png
The bottle is a good idea, wish i thought of that.

I have been trying so many things. First I tried to make a paper one but I just couldn't get it to fit right. Then the vet gave me a cloth surgical collar for dogs with pull strings to tighten it and told me to put it on her upside down, like a dress. She just kept freaking out and trying to back out of it and eventually would succeed. So my final solution was to cut one of my old long sleeve t shirts in half and put the sleeve over her head like a turtle neck and turned it so the extra fabric draped over her scratching leg. It has to be a small shirt though. For some reason with that on, her foot gets blocked by the draped fabric. She doesn't really walk around (she could if she wanted she's just freaked out) but she sits and stands and still is able to eat and drink fine. She is quarantined in a shower anyways.

Unfortunately, they are not responding to antibiotic eye drops or tylan powder in their water after 4 days so I'm starting to suspect a virus. Is culling the best option for that?

How did you fix the problem? I have a similar issue. I fear her eye is damaged to the point of no sight in left eye due to the scratching.

Yikes! I'm sorry.

I just kept her in the long sleeve shirt until it got better. It took about 9 terrible days until i finally doubled the antibiotic dose the vet told me to use. The double dose got rid of whatever it was fast.

But the long sleeve shirt seemed to work well as long as she didnt stretch it out too much. She couldnt really walk with the fabric hanging around her legs but she stood and laid around with the shirt on until the eye healed. Maybe you could also try pinless peepers. That's something I wish i had thought of.

Just get a small long sleeve shirt put her head through the sleeve and let the rest of the shirt hang down and get in the way of her legs. If they trip on it, it almost works better because then they just surrender and lay there calmly.

Hope you find a solution that works for you!

Yikes! I'm sorry.

I just kept her in the long sleeve shirt until it got better. It took about 9 terrible days until i finally doubled the antibiotic dose the vet told me to use. The double dose got rid of whatever it was fast.

But the long sleeve shirt seemed to work well as long as she didnt stretch it out too much. She couldnt really walk with the fabric hanging around her legs but she stood and laid around with the shirt on until the eye healed. Maybe you could also try pinless peepers. That's something I wish i had thought of.

Just get a small long sleeve shirt put her head through the sleeve and let the rest of the shirt hang down and get in the way of her legs. If they trip on it, it almost works better because then they just surrender and lay there calmly.

Hope you find a solution that works for you!
Hi there,

I've got the same problem here. I was wondering whether you can post a picture of the long sleeve shirt and how you've got your chicken to wear it. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom