Woo-Hoo! The coop is going up!

nikki1

Songster
8 Years
Oct 16, 2011
Eatonville, WA
We've been building our coop manufactured home style. Hubby has been framing, building a base, etc., and the kids and I have been painting, all in the relative comfort of the garage, as western Washington has had its wettest March on record, so outside has not really been an option.

So, it's spring break this week, and since Hubby and I are both teachers, we figured we could make some headway. We watched the weather report, and decided that today would be The Day. We arranged for the kids to go to day care, and we made sure we had everything good to go. Naturally, the weather report deteriorated as the week went on, but we pressed on in hope. Okay, so it snowed on the way to drop off the kids, but I was not to be deterred.

The weather cleared just about the time I got home, so we started taking all the framing and bits and pieces out of the garage and into position. We hammered hardware cloth to the run area (I only took the skin off one knuckle, and jabbed a piece of wire clean through the base of my thumbnail, but what DIY project is complete without a little blood sacrifice?), and then WE GOT THE FRAMING ALL UP!!! I have an actual structure in my backyard!!! Okay, so it still needs its siding and windows and stuff, but it's almost there!!!!

It started hailing just when it was time to pack it in and pick up the kids. Saturday is supposed to be lovely, and I'm planning to push to get the house part done then. I gotta get the chicks outta the master bathroom!! It's been great to have them in the house to socialize them, but it's time for them to move out. Our barred rock, Amelia is a curious little thing, and she may dismantle the plumbing or something if we give her too much time to work on it!

Wish us luck! I appreciate your reading. I just had to tell someone who would be excited for us, instead of thinking, "Oh. A chicken coop. How hard can it be?" HA!

Bleeding, but happy,
--Nikki

When the kids got home, they seemed genuinely surprised to see the framing up, despite the fact they knew it was our project for the day. I don't think they thought we had it in us. Honestly, though, my 4 year old was most impresssed by my purple band-aids.

--Nikki

Nikki, It is certainly exciting to see your coop come together. I know about having the chicks in the bathroom. I just moved 14 little ones from my guest bathtub to the brooder on Monday. They sure are cute,but messy
jumpy.gif

Okay, I just had to laugh!! Our brooder has been in the bathroom, but it was sadly outgrown, so I moved The Girls into the tub this afternoon! Glad our place has 2 bathrooms...

Roof goes onto the coop tomorrow! Siding to follow soon.

--Nikki

How exciting! I suffered the same injury to a finger, although it was from a sewing machine.

I know you're weather woes. We've got a three - four day window of dry (and maybe warm) weather so we're going to start painting the coop tomorrow. I can't wait to get the girls in their new coop. I'm sure they're excited too.

Aaah...We had a whole day of sun. No rain, no hail, no snow. Wow. A little frosty this morning, but that's do-able! Got a lot done today, despite some measurement issues. That, and our nails kept hitting knots and nail heads. I didn't injure myself any further, which was a nice plus! My daughter handed me nails, and played "measuring," while my son climbed trees and got delightfully dirty and sappy. (Butter takes off tree sap. Thanks, Google! Who knew?) Hubby and I are rather pleased with our amateur selves.

I'm looking forward to the pictures, too. I've been taking lots, partly to prove we really did it, and partly to share with you folks. If I can figure out the whole technology thing. I'm really good at doing the things I do all the time, but new things on the computer are a mystery. I'll do my best when the project is done.

Thanks for the replies!

--Nikki

p.s. The Girls are appreciating the bathtub. I've been using towels as bedding, but the laundry was both daunting and disgusting. I got puppy pads at the store today, and they're nicer, if more expensive. Good thing we can see the light at the end of the coop tunnel. I don't feel too guilty about not having it done, though. My littlest girl needs a few more real feathers before she goes outside, even with a heat lamp.

Back
Top Bottom