1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

woo-hoo! this is awesome!!! Look what I found!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 77horses, Sep 7, 2008.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Hey guys! Guess what I found today when i was candling one of the chicken eggs? It has an eye in it!!! [​IMG] A baby chick is forming!!! Some red veins are visible, and there is a dark shape on one side of the egg. I can see a little speck that got bigger over night, and now i can finally see the outline of the chick's head or something!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] This egg hatching business is GREAT! [​IMG] I'm planning on getting another egg or two from our hen, Abby, since she usually lays a lot of fertile eggs. So far, 1 out of 4 are fertile in the homemade bator, and this is my first time. [​IMG] But Abby's egg is growing VERY rabidly! I thought i saw movement a little, and it's only day 6 or 7! [​IMG] Boy do these eggs grow fast!

I will keep you posted! [​IMG] Wish me luck with the other 3 that are growing slowly! [​IMG]

2. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    UPDATE: The egg(s) are planned to hatch around September 20-27 or somewhere around there, since they were laid and put in the bator on 8/30 [​IMG]

3. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Your enthusiasm makes me grin! [​IMG] I can tell you're an excited "chicken momma."

Good luck with your hatch! What kind of bator are you using, by the way?

4. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:LOL you have no idea! [​IMG] I am soo excited that I check on the eggs like a million times a day. [​IMG] I am always checking the temp. and I was so worried last night about the tropical storm, Hannah, that I slept down on the couch by the bator, so i would know if the lights went out. Luckily they didn't! [​IMG]

5. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Quote:If you put them in the 'bator on the 30th, they should hatch around the 21st. Remember to stop turning and up the humidity the last 3 days. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by