Wood alternatives

It may just be semantics...our coop is built on deck blocks. It's "off the ground" but I wouldn't call it "elevated" either. It's a normal 8x10 walking building that happens to sit about 9 inches off the ground. It's build that way because of our yearly snow totals and the freeze line is so deep.

So, @Jeanw may be meaning that they would not set/build a coop directly "on the ground", but they could also be meaning an elevated coop (built on stilts and typically not a walk-in)

I personally wouldn't elevate a coop less than a foot, preferably 18-24 inches -- enough room to admit light, air, and chickens. A low gap between the ground and the floor is a perfect habitat for rodents and other pests. :)

If I were building a new, small coop in this current situation with wood so terribly expensive I wouldn't want to spend the money for a floor -- though I do like the convenient height for egg collection and cleaning of my Little Monitor Coop.

May I ask why?

There are pros and cons to both ground-level and elevated coops. :)
Of course I would build the coop off the ground no matter what materials I used.....
May I ask why?

There are pros and cons to both ground-level and elevated coops. :)
Hello, off the ground to avoid rot or termites, and we get plenty of snow in winter, and I like to have enough clearance under so the chickens can hang out or hide underneath. I have our coop up on cinder blocks laid on their long side, easy peasy. The previous owner had 4x4 stilts but I removed them and put cinder blocks instead. The coop is tall enough for me to walk inside.

I personally wouldn't elevate a coop less than a foot, preferably 18-24 inches -- enough room to admit light, air, and chickens. A low gap between the ground and the floor is a perfect habitat for rodents and other pests. :)

If I were building a new, small coop in this current situation with wood so terribly expensive I wouldn't want to spend the money for a floor -- though I do like the convenient height for egg collection and cleaning of my Little Monitor Coop.
All valid points, especially for mice...Our conversation is one that shows how important "location" can be. I'm in the high desert, at almost 9k elevation. Our pests are almost exclusively bears, so any gap height likely won't matter.

Hello, off the ground to avoid rot or termites, and we get plenty of snow in winter, and I like to have enough clearance under so the chickens can hang out or hide underneath.

Rot and termites are a major issue for my climate. I hadn't thought of the need for snow clearance -- it's been 20 years since I've lived anywhere that got significant snow. 🤣

All valid points, especially for mice...Our conversation is one that shows how important "location" can be. I'm in the high desert, at almost 9k elevation. Our pests are almost exclusively bears, so any gap height likely won't matter.

Indeed. Location is critical.

If I had a low gap I'd have rats, mice, raccoons, opossums, and snakes competing with a feral cat for the prime den spaces. :D

Fortunately, I don't have bear or feral pigs in my area.

Back
Top Bottom