Wood chips for bedding?

We chip/shred downed pine trees and use in the coop. No problems. I have a pile, behind the coop, that is storage...because of our winter (snow), I won't use the pile of chips, as they will be covered in snow. So, to allow for winter use, I have been skimming the top layer off the pile, and putting into an empty feed bag. The feed bag is then stored in the shop. I then let that new top layer dry. Once I have another empty feed bag, I fill and store it. I've been doing that for a little while, so have a few stored for winter.

This sounds like a good method! Thank you! (We also get a ton of snow)

Your chips look fantastic! I also use wood chips in the coop. I only clean out twice a year, however I scoop out under the roost daily, which goes a long way in extending out the life of the bedding as it keeps it as dry and clean as possible, plus provides me with plenty of poop for composting. Even if you don't do that you can probably get by with doing weekly? monthly? spot clean outs the area immediately under the roost, push over some of the older chips to cover, and then refresh with newer chips on the other side.

Your partner probably knows more about these chips than I do, but I'd recommend piling them up and letting them age out before use, to fully dry them out, let aromatic oils dissipate, and reduce chances of harmful aspergillus growth.

Your chips look fantastic! I also use wood chips in the coop. I only clean out twice a year, however I scoop out under the roost daily, which goes a long way in extending out the life of the bedding as it keeps it as dry and clean as possible, plus provides me with plenty of poop for composting. Even if you don't do that you can probably get by with doing weekly? monthly? spot clean outs the area immediately under the roost, push over some of the older chips to cover, and then refresh with newer chips on the other side.

Your partner probably knows more about these chips than I do, but I'd recommend piling them up and letting them age out before use, to fully dry them out, let aromatic oils dissipate, and reduce chances of harmful aspergillus growth.

This is great info. Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom