Can I use Eucalyptus as part of Wood Chips for my Run?

Ritakprkns

Chirping
Feb 18, 2023
I am signing up for a wood chip drop. In my area, there are some Eucalyptus trees. I am concerned about the health of my chickens and this type of wood. Is it safe to use?

While not toxic itself, Eucalyptus leaves can harbor Aspergillosis spores (a dangerous fungus that can cause death in various types of birds, including chickens and ducks). If you plan on using eucalyptus around your flock, be sure you are getting it from a reputable source to reduce the risk of Aspergillosis.

Thank you for your quick response.
The eucalyptus is in the mixture of the mulch I received.
In SoCal, we have these trees everywhere mixed with others. In the wood chips, I am sure these trees would be included in the mixture.
Thats my concern.

While not toxic itself, Eucalyptus leaves can harbor Aspergillosis spores (a dangerous fungus that can cause death in various types of birds, including chickens and ducks). If you plan on using eucalyptus around your flock, be sure you are getting it from a reputable source to reduce the risk of Aspergillosis.
Any tree can harbor Aspergillus.
Key to it not reaching toxic levels is not piling the chips deep in the run, add layers of an inch or two every other week or so. Get chips off the outer layers of stored chip pile.

Back
Top Bottom