wood chips for run

Sep 30, 2021
Utah
My loving husband loaded his truck bed with free woods chips because I wantes them for the bottom of my outdoor run (which is just bare clay mud right now). He said there was some "white stuff-maybe mold" on top of the pile. He scooped that off. But it is lots of sticks and leaves and it's all wet. I feel terrible he spent all that time loading the truck up but I don't want to use it. Any thoughts?

Photo of mess

Attachments

• IMG_20211016_141630.jpg
    IMG_20211016_141630.jpg
    981.5 KB · Views: 11
It smells kind of moldy. It might be in my head since he mentioned it
Decomposing wood from damp weather is a major part of my life (I live in a "drained" swamp). I suppose I am used to it. Is it apparent what type of mold you're dealing with? Is it animal product or plant life? If its like an old stump, then my birds are around that type of mold every day out here (I know that's an anecdote and not empirical data).

Much of my wood pile has various molds growing on it, since it's been sitting out for a few years now. Most molds are not harmful, it's just slowly decomposing the wood.

You wouldn't happen to know how old these chips are, would you? Older would be preferable, fresh chips are more likely to grow hazardous types of mold.

If you want to be cautious, let it sit for a little bit to start drying out, then start by skimming off the surface layer of chips, since those will start drying out from being exposed to air.

Decomposing wood from damp weather is a major part of my life (I live in a "drained" swamp). I suppose I am used to it. Is it apparent what type of mold you're dealing with? Is it animal product or plant life? If its like an old stump, then my birds are around that type of mold every day out here (I know that's an anecdote and not empirical data).
He said the stuff on top was white. The chips were sitting in a pile in a driveway getting rained on for the last week. I am probably over thinking it but I have a couple chickens that had respiratory problems when I got them and I feel like they would be more sensitive. I lost a chicken last week so maybe I'm just on edge.

Much of my wood pile has various molds growing on it, since it's been sitting out for a few years now. Most molds are not harmful, it's just slowly decomposing the wood.

You wouldn't happen to know how old these chips are, would you? Older would be preferable, fresh chips are more likely to grow hazardous types of mold.

If you want to be cautious, let it sit for a little bit to start drying out, then start by skimming off the surface layer of chips, since those will start drying out from being exposed to air.
They are fresh. Think we are going to use them in the flower beds instead

Back
Top Bottom