Wood chips in chicken run?

I highly advise against throwing the grass clippings in there. You have to be very careful with clippings. If it is small short pieces, a little bit will be ok (make sure you provide them chick grit), but for chicks or even juveniles longer pieces can be deadly. I never put chicks on hay because of losing them to crop blockages. Grass can do the same. It winds up in a ball in their crop and wont move and they are basically blocked from nutrition and will starve to death. Blockages in growing birds can happen anywhere along their digestive system, but usually ends up in the crop. So, don't be generous with the grass clippings and make sure it is short enough to not wind up in them. And provide grit.
Absolutely correct... short grass clippings and make sure they are well mixed in...the other problem of course in certain climates with grass clippings is if used exclusively they can mat and mold if not kept dry and aerated....some use hay just fine but there can be concern about crop impaction. I would still use some grass (if I had any but it is forest here) yet there is some controversy around this use. Your choice.

I have so many materials (that is why a mix is so good) that potential for harm is greatly reduced. The mix needs aeration. Occasionally I will throw a treat or some scratch and let the chickens mix it for me.

I have always dumped ALL of my grass clippings, from about an acre of lawn into my coop and run with all ages of birds. This gets dumped in along with leaves, wood chips, shavings (when I used to buy them) garden debris, hay, and any other compostable material. Never had problems with impacted crop or any of the other issues that "they say" are caused by grass clippings. I can see how one could have an issue if long grass was dumped into a run that has been totally stripped of vegetation. The birds would then go to town on the sudden "bonanza" of green matter, and very well could get an impaction. But, if the birds have access to grass on a regular basis, it will not be an issue.

I fully support @lazy gardener ! There have been multiple threads and discussions about "deep litter"...she knows what she is talking about better than I do...pay attention all you chicken lovers out there!!
gig.gif

I have always dumped ALL of my grass clippings, from about an acre of lawn into my coop and run with all ages of birds. This gets dumped in along with leaves, wood chips, shavings (when I used to buy them) garden debris, hay, and any other compostable material. Never had problems with impacted crop or any of the other issues that "they say" are caused by grass clippings. I can see how one could have an issue if long grass was dumped into a run that has been totally stripped of vegetation. The birds would then go to town on the sudden "bonanza" of green matter, and very well could get an impaction. But, if the birds have access to grass on a regular basis, it will not be an issue.

X 2 -- I have used grass and hay for my birds for years - have not had one incident of impacted crop.

If you have grass in your run you may not experience a problem. But if you don't, you are right, they will go to town and longer clippings CAN cause a problem. Not always, but it has happened to enough of us to prove that it can do what we say.
Other poster is correct also. Piles of grass in hot humid climates get "hot" under the pile, grow fungus/mold and then you have another potential problem growing there for your birds. I always sprinkle any grass clippings around so they stay dry. Even one day in a pile and you can stick your hand under that pile and feel the heat and moisture.

I recently switched my coop and run floor litter over from sand/dirt to pine bark mulch/wood chips. The birds love it and so do I! The dust and dirt is now under control, the floor was much warmer this past winter, it smells wonderful and it is very easy to clean. I am sure keeping it dry is important so I have been tarping up my run during bad weather but so far I am hooked!

I recently switched my coop and run floor litter over from sand/dirt to pine bark mulch/wood chips. The birds love it and so do I! The dust and dirt is now under control, the floor was much warmer this past winter, it smells wonderful and it is very easy to clean. I am sure keeping it dry is important so I have been tarping up my run during bad weather but so far I am hooked!
Great!

I really need some more wood chips in mine. I throw everything in the run, grass, weeds, shavings but the majority is chopped cottonwood leaves. Can't compost too many since they are pretty alkaline. Most of my run is under a roof, so I have to water everything down once a week or so or it just turns to powder and blows away. One of these days I'm going to soak it well and till it in again to keep breaking up the hardpan underneath.

Back
Top Bottom