wood chips

chicken gal

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 10, 2012
some people saw that like pine shavings are bad for their feathers. can you tell if I am right or wrong and if I am which kind is right. thanks!!!!

I've never heard or seen a difference. I've used straw before but do not like it because in the PNW, it soaked up too much moisture and then would subsequently begin to mold and mildew. I mean, the south side of buildings mold and mildew here... woodchips seem resistant to this and to dry faster.

We've used both pine shavings and straw, and now strictly use pine shaving. Neither had any adverse affect on feathers (or any other part of the chickens, for that matter). We just prefer the shavings because the straw tends to clump up and doesn't have the drying capacity of the shavings.

me, I am so sorry I have been calling them the wrong thing
hit.gif

Last edited:
I use wood chips all the time
Have friends that own several tree services so get them delivered by the truck load.
I dry them out on a concrete driveway and store for later use. And if I need some and it's been raining to long to dry naturally. I build a fire and dry them in a old washer tub on a rocket stove build for that purpose ( free fire wood too ). Since my chicken coop(run) is a 10 x 10 concrete pad it works great. It takes about 4 wheelbarrow loads to fill. I use them in the 8 x 8 hen house too. With a little straw thrown on top for the girls to work in.

Back
Top Bottom