Woodchucks

Stephen12

Chirping
Sep 23, 2019
Does anybody know of a woodchuck proof feeder? I contacted Roamwild about their rat proof chicken feeder. They said they were not sure if it would keep a woodchuck from eating the feed. They thought the hole might be to small for the woodchuck to get its mouth in.

Does anybody know of a woodchuck proof feeder? I contacted Roamwild about their rat proof chicken feeder. They said they were not sure if it would keep a woodchuck from eating the feed. They thought the hole might be to small for the woodchuck to get its mouth in.
It's not much help, but the only truly woodchuck-proof feeder I've ever seen is the one guarded by my sister's St Bernards ... and somehow, I don't think the actual feeder has much to do with it! She did have some luck putting her feeders up high, on a shelf the groundhogs couldn't reach ... but then she had to move her broodies with chicks.

I do not. However, I also had an issue with a woodchuck getting into my coop, and read somewhere that they hate cayenne pepper. I sprinkled a good amount around my coop door, ..and it worked! The fat guy has moved on. :)

Does anybody know of a woodchuck proof feeder? I contacted Roamwild about their rat proof chicken feeder. They said they were not sure if it would keep a woodchuck from eating the feed. They thought the whole might be too small for the woodchuck to get its mouth in.
I do not. However, I also had an issue with a woodchuck getting into my coop, and read somewhere that they hate cayenne pepper. I sprinkled a good amount around my coop door, ..and it worked! The fat guy has moved on. :)
It's not much help, but the only truly woodchuck-proof feeder I've ever seen is the one guarded by my sister's St Bernards ... and somehow, I don't think the actual feeder has much to do with it! She did have some luck putting her feeders up high, on a shelf the groundhogs couldn't reach ... but then she had to move her broodies with chicks.

Yeah, I do not have a dog and thought about that also. I have a big bag of ground cayenne pepper. I will try that.I live in Michigan and winter is coming pretty soon so they will be hibernating. Won't have to worry about them until next spring. Just be more of them then after they have their babies. Thank you for the replies.

I also had an issue with a woodchuck getting into my coop, and read somewhere that they hate cayenne pepper.
Yup

They can climb pretty good, I've seen them 15 feet up a tree before, when they couldn't get to their hole. The little guys will use their little paws to reach in, so narrow openings don't help much, but if you get it while it's young they are actually delicious. If you end up popping him and you don't eat or feed it, stuff him back in the hole.
Most times, especially if they are used to you, they will only run just barely back in their hole. You can sneak up and whistle, or just crouch up to the opening, then stand up real slow to get your angle and get them with a shotgun. It works better than a rifle, IMHO

Yup

They can climb pretty good, I've seen them 15 feet up a tree before, when they couldn't get to their hole. The little guys will use their little paws to reach in, so narrow openings don't help much, but if you get it while it's young they are actually delicious. If you end up popping him and you don't eat or feed it, stuff him back in the hole.
Most times, especially if they are used to you, they will only run just barely back in their hole. You can sneak up and whistle, or just crouch up to the opening, then stand up real slow to get your angle and get them with a shotgun. It works better than a rifle, IMHO

I am going to try the cayenne pepper thing. I'm going to pass on the eating thing,though.;):) I've heard stories of my Grandpa eating them and raccoons, back in the day.I do not have a shotgun but I do have a 22 rifle. Tried shooting them before but the little buggers are really hard to get sighted in before they take off. Any little sound or movement alerts them.

Back
Top Bottom