Wooden Egg Mystery

For-The-Love-Of-Chickens

Songster
10 Years
Apr 8, 2009
Washington State
We have prepared our nest boxes and put in wooden eggs so our hens get the idea. However, we woke up this morning to find three of the eggs missing. We have a small coop and after searching EVERYWHERE, we can't find these eggs!!!! What would steal wooden eggs?!?

They are in a secure coop overnight, so nothing large could get in. We have had a bit of a mouse problem that we have been getting under control, but these eggs were rather heavy.

Last edited:
Do you think I snake would eat em?
sad.png

I suppose it's possible that a snake got in there, but we have moved everything, and sifted through the pine shavings and have found nothing! I imagine if it was a snake that it is now going to die. I am leaning more towards a rat or a weasel.

We are going to go out and look everyone over closely to make sure no one is hurt, and I am going to get out the baby monitors so we can see if there is any squawking overnight.
D.gif
We can't hear them from inside the house. I also have one big hole that I have known about, but just haven't made the time to go out and cover that I will get covered today. Time to get the big traps out.
hu.gif

Other than that, it just freaks me out knowing something is stealing the wooden eggs!! I don't want anything stealing the real ones, or hurting our chickens.
sad.png

I guess maybe this should have gone in the predators section.

i had plastic easter eggs and golfballs go missing like that. i eventually foudn them under my house. a rat was rolling them away. i laced one of the plastic eggs with pepper.

Back
Top Bottom