Wood's Coop Roost bars - how many deep?

Thyme4Chickens

Songster
Mar 21, 2018
SE WI (zone 5)
Hi all! We are getting close to having our 8x16 Wood's coop "livable for chickens and predator proof".... "Done" to me will mean painted all nice and pretty on the outside and I don't know when that will happen! :p

Regarding the roost bars - here's the plan in the book:
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=coo.31924003138272;view=1up;seq=47
upload_2018-6-6_21-4-39.png

I would like to have three roosting bars, as with our coop that would give us ~24 linear feet and our town's ordinance limits us to keeping 25 hens. (we only have 5 pullets - I hope they are pullets! - now)

But if we have roost bars three deep as pictured, will it be too difficult to access/inspect birds who are sleeping on the back roost (for lice/mites/etc)?

I would not worry about access to the chickens in the back. First of all, you will not be making a flea check daily. You also do not need to check ALL the same day. So when you do, just make a note which you checked. If your chickens are plentiful and similar looking, then just mark the ones you checked with a piece of cloth bandage tape around leg temporarily.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,, :highfive:

You only need 2. Back one about 10 to 12 inches from the back wall, second one 14 inches from it. They will look like this.......

20180516_123341.jpg roost.jpg

A great way to make this is to take a 2 x 4 and rip in down lengthwise to make 2 roost bars from one 2 x 4. They end up 1.5 inches x 1.75 inches, then install them narrow side up. The extra gives them just enough strength to support the weight of the birds without sagging.

All on the same level (no ladders), and again, NARROW SIDE UP!!!!!

@Howard E that is exactly how I done the roosts in mine. Ripped 2x4 is by far the best solution I have found. Do you think 2 roosts are enough for the 25 birds?

You only need 2. Back one about 10 to 12 inches from the back wall, second one 14 inches from it. They will look like this.......

View attachment 1420139 View attachment 1420140

A great way to make this is to take a 2 x 4 and rip in down lengthwise to make 2 roost bars from one 2 x 4. They end up 1.5 inches x 1.75 inches, then install them narrow side up. The extra gives them just enough strength to support the weight of the birds without sagging.

All on the same level (no ladders), and again, NARROW SIDE UP!!!!!
Except that the birds would be in less danger of frostbitten feet if the roosts were 2x4s, 3.5" sides up.

The 10' x 16' woods coop in the sketch was designed for 40 birds. So as designed, 3 - 10' roosts, or 30 linear feet of roosts for 40 birds. 9 inches per bird.

2- 8' roosts for 24 birds is 8 inches per bird. That is assuming you actually have that many birds.

Thank you all for the advice! @Howard E thank you for the pictures and measurements - that's just what we will do.

We only have 5 pullets now, and I hope to add another 5 or 10 this summer. I'm not sure I want 20-some-odd over our first winter!

Except that the birds would be in less danger of frostbitten feet if the roosts were 2x4s, 3.5" sides up.

I agree

The notion of 2 x 4's wide side up and frostbitten feet may be the greatest myth that exists on BYC. Almost silly on it's face, but a lot of folks fall for it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/proper-design-of-roost-bars.1197058/

not sure how it is silly.

When I first got into chickens I used narrow perches.... and their toes got frostbit.

I switched to wide perches and.... no more frostbite on toes.

Except when a chicken decides to roost on a spot where she sleeps on a.... narrow.... perch (like on top of a door), and then..... her feet get frostbite.

Every time.

Pretty clear to me... not a myth.

Back
Top Bottom