Woods-style house in the winter

Very nice coop you've got there!!
smile.png

Last edited:
I love your coop! I think chicken owners should spend more time, money & energy building walk in predator proof runs and much smaller coops. After all, mine only go in the coop to roost & lay eggs. Plus 4 of them sleep outside!

Nice....my girls are wimps. They go all "flamingo" as soon as I open the coop door
lol.png

I would love to have something like that with more overhang on the open side cause we have a lot of wind where I am. I think if you start the birds as chicks and they are always used to that style of house then they would be used to the conditions and be just fine. If you took one that was used to a much more closed in style of coop and put it in that one then it might have some issues until it adapts.

I think it is a beautiful coop!

jaredschickenadvent, to cover the wire would be to negate the whole POINT of the house and the thing that makes it work
wink.png

That's a really nice job you've done there, JackE -- about the smallest one would want to scale down that style house, but beautifully done and it is nice to see a (rare) example of what the old style ones would have looked like when all brand spankin' new, back in the day
smile.png
Not that it matters, but I too would have done more of a roof overhang on the front, but only out of aesthetics and habit -- I totally believe you that it is not a problem this way, as bedding in 'front' that gets damp will dry out pretty quick so no harm done.

<applause applause>,

Pat, gonna do one of those for my chanteclers Real Soon Now (it was supposed to be built last fall but what with one thing and another I never actually did it) but it won't look all nice and spiff like that b/c it will be grafted onto the back of the horses' run-in shed.

Nicely done!
This winter, I've forgone all heat lamps, and on my main coop, have left the pop door open 24/7. Last year I had lots of frostbite; this year, very little. My coop is long and the pop door is towards the end, but on the long side, so no strong drafts can blow in on the birds.

(a) Love the coop - the design, the paint - everything. If I didn't already have a great big coop that I also love, I would insist on building one just like yours. Maybe the next one...

(b) I see my very favorite hens there - buff orpingtons!

(c) do they free range? I don't see an attached run?

Back
Top Bottom