Woods-style house in the winter

Pics
Some pics of your snowy coops would be lovely as I sit and swelter here.
big_smile.png
We had one of those hideously hot days with a hot wind where it feels like there is no air. I'm wishing for a bit of snow right now! Pics please.

I love this coop! I have been studying your coop for months, and have/will incorporat(ed) several of your ideas ( blackjack 57 to name one :) and the Premier fencing is something I'm planning on as well ;) ). I like how you can tell the monitor windows are open or closed from a distance by how you painted them too.
I may have missed them, (I can't access your album of coop pictures for some reason, and they don't show up on this page anymore under the picture gallery :( )but do you have additional vents at the top of the half-monitor for winter ventilation as well (when the windows are closed)? I'm thinking of adding some more venting at the very top peak of my roof with hardware cloth, kind of like @aart did on hers. I'd have to cut through my end boards, but I was wondering how big a hole to make and if you had done something similar ? Thank you. And I'm getting close to the day I put the Blackjack 57 down, so I'm wondering did you apply a couple layers? Or just one thick coat? Thanks for all your detailed information, it's really helped guide me in my build! :)

Last edited:
I love this coop! I have been studying your coop for months, and have/will incorporat(ed) several of your ideas ( blackjack 57 to name one
smile.png
and the Premier fencing is something I'm planning on as well
wink.png
). I like how you can tell the monitor windows are open or closed from a distance by how you painted them too.
I may have missed them, (I can't access your album of coop pictures for some reason, and they don't show up on this page anymore under the picture gallery
sad.png
)but do you have additional vents at the top of the half-monitor for winter ventilation as well (when the windows are closed)? I'm thinking of adding some more venting at the very top peak of my roof with hardware cloth, kind of like @aart did on hers. I'd have to cut through my end boards, but I was wondering how big a hole to make and if you had done something similar ? Thank you. And I'm getting close to the day I put the Blackjack 57 down, so I'm wondering did you apply a couple layers? Or just one thick coat? Thanks for all your detailed information, it's really helped guide me in my build!
smile.png
Adding vents for winter defeats the function of the Woods concept.........the large front windows should be the only opening during winter.
My coop is not a Woods, tho the roof line is the same.

)but do you have additional vents at the top of the half-monitor for winter ventilation as well (when the windows are closed)? I'm thinking of adding some more venting at the very top peak of my roof with hardware cloth, kind of like @aart did on hers. I'd have to cut through my end boards, but I was wondering how big a hole to make and if you had done something similar ? Thank you. And I'm getting close to the day I put the Blackjack 57 down, so I'm wondering did you apply a couple layers? Or just one thick coat? Thanks for all your detailed information, it's really helped guide me in my build!
smile.png

There is no need to add any venting to the top of the coop. That's what the monitor windows are for. On my coop, the upper monitor windows are opened with a curved piece of metal strapping, attached at the bottom of each window. The strapping has holes drilled in them every three inches or so. There is a nail at the bottom of each window frame, those, combined with the holes in the metal straps, makes it so I can just crack the windows open, or open them fully. In the coldest parts of winter, the upper windows are closed. But, I have found if the temp gets over 35F or so for a few days, it sometimes starts to stink in there. So, I will crack open one of the upper windows to vent it out a bit more. That clears it up quick. And the best part, is it does NOT create any noticeable draft at all. As far as the Blackjack goes, I just put down one thick coat. Gave it a good stirring, then just dumped a big pile/puddle on the floor and pushed it around to where I wanted it with a roller on a broom handle. VERY easy.

Thanks! I've got the Monitor windows in, just have to decide how to open and close them. I looked at those automatic heat sensitive controller arms, but will try a pulley or something first. I like your metal straps method too. Here's a link to one of the Bayliss mk7, one of the better controllers, although I did buy one HF version just to see if it would work.
http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/bayliss-autovent-opener/greenhouse-cooling

Thanks! I've got the Monitor windows in, just have to decide how to open and close them. I looked at those automatic heat sensitive controller arms, but will try a pulley or something first. I like your metal straps method too. Here's a link to one of the Bayliss mk7, one of the better controllers, although I did buy one HF version just to see if it would work.
http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/bayliss-autovent-opener/greenhouse-cooling

Don't need any of that stuff. I'd rather have full control on when, and how much the monitor windows open. The link says the windows can be adjusted to open between 55-75F. My windows are usually opened at 40-45F. I don't want to have to disconnect something to open a window. Add to that the cost, and something else that can screw up, and/or fail. I guess a pulley would work. But then, you would have to tie off the rope somewhere out of the way. Too many moving parts, keep it simple I say. That's why I used the simple method I did, copied from the man who designed the coop.

I'm dating myself, but I remember when the schools and government buildings all used those curved metal type of openers. Although my memory includes a lot of uncomfortablly warm moments while we waited for the janitor to fumble around finding the pole he used to open them! They never seemed to open them until it was pushing 90 degrees in the stuffy classrooms!
:) I do like that method tho because it wouldn't interfere with my hardware cloth. I will definitely look at using those. :)

Back
Top Bottom