WOOHOO. Egg #1

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by slmoore3127, Jul 30, 2014.

1. slmoore3127

slmoore3127 New Egg

Mar 14, 2014
    Egg number 1 arrived yesterday! woohoo! My hens are Easter Eggers and about 21 weeks old. When should I expect the next egg from the hen that has started laying? Will they get bigger, or stay about the same size and color? The egg is a cream color (I was slightly disappointed), and about half the size of the large store bought eggs I have in the fridge.

I have heard many things from washing or not washing, putting it in the fridge or leaving it out… so what does everyone do?
    [​IMG]

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Yippee![​IMG]
    It's normal for the first egg(s) to be off shape, off color and small. They wil get bigger, better shaped and better colored in time. Don't wash eggs as this removes the outer coating called the bloom which keeps bacteria out. Only wash them right before use.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  3. mortie

mortie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    Eggs will likely get bigger with time. My one hen that is laying started 5 days ago and has laid an egg every day but don't be surprised if hours starts and stops a bit at first. Our first egg was a lighter color than her eggs have been since. Obviously she was still working on her paint job. Good luck

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Woo hoo.....they will get bigger. I don't wash. If I get a dirty egg (ie rogue layer on the roost that lands in poop board) I wipe it clean.

5. mortie

mortie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    I washed the one that was laid off the roost, otherwise no.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I store them unwashed on the counter, they get sold or used up pretty fast.
    If one was poopy or laid on the board or run, I wash then refrigerate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by