1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wooly Mammoth Chicken???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jbh06, Aug 9, 2011.

1. jbh06

jbh06 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2011
    Columbia County, NY
    Is there such a thing as a wooly mammoth breed? I can't find anything on such a breed. If there is can someone post some pictures??

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:Never heard of them...the closest thing resembling wool in a chicken breed is Silkies...

3. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    [​IMG]

i found a wooly chicken...

[​IMG]

4. stoneunhenged

stoneunhenged Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    USA
    Hedemora can be woolly, but they don't have very long trunks or tusks.

[​IMG]

5. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:on doing a deep research I came across this old post of our friend Tim when he used to post at the classroom forums long ago(2006)

he responded to below question about wooly

Quote:
    T. Adkerson :

ladycat,

The wooly gene is an autosomal recessive gene. In day old chicks, the expression of the gene can very from chick to chick. The down on chicks will be shorter than normal and feathering can vary from normal to seminaked. Varing amounts of the down feathers would be clubbed or rolled into the shape of a small feather nodule ( a ball on the end of the down feather). Adult and juvenile feathering is complete(covers the body) but the feathers are rough and incomplete. They also lack the smoothness associated with normal feathers. I have not personally seen the mutation.

Tim

hope this helps...​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by