Woot we have a bouncing baby coop

Something similar to this but with 1/2 inch hardware cloth and make sure it is attached to wood on the bottom of the coop/run well.

Yes, we're going to do that all around the outside. My husband is thinking 1x1" fencing wire, that's coated with vinyl, as after his experience with the hardware cloth while making the brooder box, he said he really didn't want to get cut up again.

I'm concerned about the gap on the inside, both for chicks getting under it and for making sure there is good support for the long term.

Yes, we're going to do that all around the outside. My husband is thinking 1x1" fencing wire, that's coated with vinyl, as after his experience with the hardware cloth while making the brooder box, he said he really didn't want to get cut up again.

I'm concerned about the gap on the inside, both for chicks getting under it and for making sure there is good support for the long term.
Rats can go right through a one inch holed wire.

You could build up the inside of the run with some 50 pound bags of peat moss or potting soil AND lay some pavers along the edges.

I would use 1/2" hardware cloth for the apron, it will be well worth getting a few cuts from it, to keep rodents out. Putting pavers where they will fit under the base would work fine for support. I would fill in the rest with dirt from the outside, before you put the apron on. For inside the run use tree trimming wood chips or untreated(undyed) mulch to start. If you make it 3 - 4 inches deep the chicks will have plenty to scratch in and it will cover the gap as well. You could always push some underneath the base. I personally would cover the grass right of way, but not sure what your thinking. Poop on/in the grass will draw flies quicker than if you have mulch down.

Last edited:
I would use 1/2" hardware cloth for the apron, it will be well worth getting a few cuts from it, to keep rodents out. Putting pavers where they will fit under the base would work fine for support. I would fill in the rest with dirt from the outside, before you put the apron on. For inside the run use tree trimming wood chips or untreated(undyed) mulch to start. If you make it 3 - 4 inches deep the chicks will have plenty to scratch in and it will cover the gap as well. You could always push some underneath the base. I personally would cover the grass right of way, but not sure what your thinking. Poop on/in the grass will draw flies quicker than if you have mulch down.

I was able to order the vinyl coated fencing wire in 1/2"x1/2". It's more expensive - but it allows me to achieve the dual goals of "no rats" and "no cutting up husband".

I think we will do pavers, and possibly get a trowel and dig some to get them well in place.

I had been going to wait and let the chickens enjoy destroying the grass before putting in the wood shavings or mulch - what's the difference between those? - but if you think it's better I can start in with that.

I do want that kind of bedding on top of the hdpe floor in the coop, right? As well as the sweet pdz in the poop board tray?

Very nice!! I'm envious of your warm winters!!

You could have my warm winters with my blessings - from everything I've read, feathers are warm and fluffy. I'm worried about trying to keep these ladies alive through the summer heat. And being able to keep ME being able to go outside and see them regularly in the summer heat.

I was able to order the vinyl coated fencing wire in 1/2"x1/2". It's more expensive - but it allows me to achieve the dual goals of "no rats" and "no cutting up husband".

I think we will do pavers, and possibly get a trowel and dig some to get them well in place.

I had been going to wait and let the chickens enjoy destroying the grass before putting in the wood shavings or mulch - what's the difference between those? - but if you think it's better I can start in with that.

I do want that kind of bedding on top of the hdpe floor in the coop, right? As well as the sweet pdz in the poop board tray?
i use deep litter in my coops...i placed cheap vinyl sticky tiles over the wood where possible, placed a removable dog crate tray under the roost, put down sweet pdz and then pine shavings over that and clean/replace as needed. some use sand instead of or in addition to pine shavings in run and coops. my run is not covered so i generally put pine bark and/or sand as needed in the run. I made the mistake early on of using straw, shavings etc which built up and packed down resulting in me having to do a lot of removal after 6 months!

Back
Top Bottom