Wording for Variance

browndog

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 25, 2011
I thought I was within the gray area of the law when I got our girls last year. It only takes one ticked off neighbor who is not even in contact with my property to make a complaint. All other residents on the street are willing to sign my petition. I am filing for a variance to keep my chickens and am stuck on how to word my reason for asking for the variance. I have chickens to eat a healthier option, show my kids how to grow and sustain our own food and also give them some responsibility. How would you word the reasoning? TIA!

Pets, just like canary, parakeet, iguana etc., only better... pets with "benefits"

Last edited:
Is it a variance that will grant an exception to you, and only you, or will it be applied to others? There is strength in numbers. Have you asked your neighbors about possible wording or benefits? Also, to what section of your zoning code will the variance apply? Is it a land use, health or domestic animal code that you are dealing with? You might find clues as to the original concerns behind the existing code.

I would not suggest that your wording specifically contradict existing code, as that will introduce procedural difficulties in the future. No zoning board wants that kind of hassle. Rather, a variance request that directly or indirectly acknowedges existing code, and provides rationale for special consideration to backyard chickens is likely to be better received.

You'll get a lot of good suggestions here, and I hope that there are some folk who can provide their own examples. Good luck!

P.S. I assume that you have not been ordered to remove your flock. The variance could take longer to enact than the typical timeframe issued for removal.

I am doing the exact same thing. I, too, thought I was in the gray area and it turns out I'm not. My variance paperwork is due the 29th and my meeting before the zoning board is 3/20. The code enforcer warned me that others in my town have applied for and not received their variances so I want very badly to make mine impressive!

I filed for a personal variance for just my property and my hearing will be on April 10th. I have 15 min to state my case. I am going to take pictures and present the healthy farm to table option it gives us and hope for the best. I am sure that my wonderful neighbor that turned me in will be there, but who knows. He isn't even near my back lot so his complaint is not real valid when the 2 direct neighbors have no issues. We will see.

Back
Top Bottom