Work - Not sure if I had a good day or not?!

Boyd

Recipient of The Biff Twang
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
MI
ok, so I work at An electronics manufacturer and am a "floater" I sorta help out or fill in wherever is needed at work. I started there last november as a temp and was hired perm in March. I love my job
wink.png

So today we had our big meeting!!! They had 5 random peeps called in front of everyone and i was one of them. I ended up winning trivia, got a 5$ gift certificate for mcdonalds... and talked with some of the associates and my supervisor. They are looking for a bunch of team leaders, and everyone was expecting me to apply the first go 'round. I didn't. Really wasn't interested honestly.. I like what I do, who I work for, my job, my hours etc...

But they've put time and money into me and my training.. so the 2nd time it came around (this week it was reposted) I caved and went to HR after the meeting and filled out the application. I've done this kind of work before, and I generally get along with everyone there at work... so what the hay.. it's a pay bump if I get it.

As I'm walking back to the factory floor my super calls me over and introduces me to somebody from up front I've never met before. She's in charge of the Engineers and Technicians. Apparently my name was given to her as someone who may be a good fit for a test tech.. another position they haven't been able to fill. This one is more technical than any job in there so far (you have to understand components as well as the software and programming) and be able to fix it....
th.gif
I am about 15 years out of date on this but will be looking for old college textbooks or going to bookstore in the AM....

Oy vey! My head is swimming at this point. Here I am, Boyd, humble shoe shine boy, just tries to go along to get along and suddenly I am looking at two different career paths within the same company that I wasn't looking at yesterday.

-- Then I go to punch out, get my stuff out of my locker, get in my car and realize somebody broke into it.... nothing was taken, but somebody had pulled the seam of my rag top aside to unlock door, messed with stuff inside, and apparently didn't take anything? I hope it's just a sick joke, but honestly I am
somad.gif

Whew....... What do ya'll think? I am happy doing what I do, but I am now considering 3 different things.. Team/Crew Leader, Technician, and/or killing whoever broke into my car..? Was this a good day? ACK
barnie.gif

Last edited:
No blood? Still have all your fingers and toes? Didnt get bitten? Answer no ,yes, no to those questions and its a great day for me at work. Id say you had a good day overall.

ok, so still need an opinion or two.....

I spent the weekend reviewing material on electronics components and came up with that I don't remember much from 96-97ish. Don't use it, you loose it right?

But I have this massive book with lots of details and things are coming back, a little slower than I hoped but still..

So I talked with the boss lady today (she looked for me before she headed out for the day) and asked me what I thought. I was honest with her. I am interested, but I won't be able to pass the electronics test at this point (the way I see it). She asked me if I could come in 30-45 mins early tommorow so I could take it, then I'd know what to look at if I didn't do well
th.gif

Ok, so to make matters worse, my immediate super came up to me and told me that if I took this job I wouldn't be a team leader (which I already knew) but he seemed to be hinting that they needed another supervisor in the near future and he wanted to work with somebody who knew what he was doing and could get the job done.

OK... my head .. you see how big it is swelling? My ninja squirrels and the baby rabbits that paralyze you with cuteness... Yeah.. They were forgotten for half a second.. I mean.. I wasn't looking for a big career, just a J.O.B. where I could punch the clock and go home...

Am I just seeing $$$, or should I stick with my basic ideals of go along to get along? So confused... and only 400 more pages to read before 1pm today....

Quote:
but what to do, the Tech, or go back into supervision? That's the crutch... Both sound interesting.. and honestly, it isn't the $$ for me, I make enough as a monkey pushing buttons and pulling levers... More would be nice, but I'd only buy more junk with more.. But if it was more interesting and fun.... That's my boggle... lol

Quote:
but what to do, the Tech, or go back into supervision? That's the crutch... Both sound interesting.. and honestly, it isn't the $$ for me, I make enough as a monkey pushing buttons and pulling levers... More would be nice, but I'd only buy more junk with more.. But if it was more interesting and fun.... That's my boggle... lol

You need to remember you have kids. The further you advance the better example you set. Sometimes it is not just about what WE want.

Do what would make you -more satisfied/happy/fulfilled/less tired/more likely to go back to work- at the end of the day. If they are both the same, flip a coin.

Quote:

You need to remember you have kids. The further you advance the better example you set. Sometimes it is not just about what WE want.

oh crap.. Don't play the morality one on me
hmm.png
I am happy being a humble hillbilly shoeshine boy.. Ack...

Back
Top Bottom