Worked on a farm previously, now I am trying to raise chickens on my own.

Ursula09

Chirping
Oct 16, 2018
Glasgow, Kentucky
I have 6 chickens, and one rooster. The chickens are almost ready to lay their first egg. I would have lost one of my chickens were it not for my rooster creating a lot of ruckus! Lux ( the name of that white leghorn chicken), always has a habit of flying over the fence. I was inside, so I couldn't see her outside of the fence. All of a sudden Lazarus Leaf, my leghorn rooster made such a racket that I went outside to investigate. I saw a whitish looking small hawk sitting on top of Lux and starting to rip out her feathers. I went outside of the fence area and almost ran to the hawk. The hawk let go of Lux and she went back into the yard in a hurry. All seven of them went into the coop before daylight was gone. I am going to keep them in the coop for a few days while i am looking for ways to keep them safer. I hope my girls learned their lesson about being outside the fence.

I
Welcome! You need to fix your fence so that she cannot fly over it. If she can fly over it, then the hawk can fly into it!
Will it help if I add about 1" strip of chicken wire to the top of the fence at a slight angle? All the other chickens stay in their fenced area. I have even trimmed their wing feathers to discourage flying. Lux is determined to get to the other side. I read on the forum that Hawks will come back, is that true? I had a covered area while they were smaller, but it became a problem in my yard, so I took it down again. My neighbors are supposed to come and move my coop for me, so I can work on making it completely hawk proof. Thank you so much for all the advice.

I
Welcome! You need to fix your fence so that she cannot fly over it. If she can fly over it, then the hawk can fly into it!
Will it help if I add about 1" strip of chicken wire to the top of the fence at a slight angle? All the other chickens stay in their fenced area. I have even trimmed their wing feathers to discourage flying. Lux is determined to get to the other side. I read on the forum that Hawks will come back, is that true? I had a covered area while they were smaller, but it became a problem in my yard, so I took it down again. My neighbors are supposed to come and move my coop for me, so I can work on making it completely hawk proof. Thank you so much for all the advice.

Back
Top Bottom