Working on coop design...

Yes top-lifting lids let in a lot of rain.but now that I remember the boxes in drawing ARE exterior and do have a pitched lid so that solves rain issues as long as seams are sealed?( don't know how easy that would be with lid up design) anyway pitched top is good idea IMHO.
The pitched lid/top is good, but it's the hinge in a top access nest taht usually causes leakage.
Why it's better to have a side access for gathering eggs, and top that is pitched with large over hangs.

if there is any way to make it bigger then try to make it bigger. I was going to build mine 4x8 since I was getting 8 chickens last year... I was told on this site to make it bigger so I made it 8x8 (now wishing I made it even bigger than that). I ended up adding on 2 more chicks to my order so it was at 10. 1 passed away at 9 weeks, 1 was a roo that I re-homed, and 1 a roo that I kept so I now have 8........ I am getting more chicks this year and sad that I am limited on what I can get for the space I have. haahaa. chicken math is real!

The pitched lid/top is good, but it's the hinge in a top access nest taht usually causes leakage.
Why it's better to have a side access for gathering eggs, and top that is pitched with large over hangs.
I am going back to the drawing board a bit, but just to be clear, this is underneath a traditional patio roof that is about 4.5ft deep, so the entire structure will be sheltered.

I am thinking about rather than raising it, putting it directly on the concrete slab for ease of cleaning.

I am going back to the drawing board a bit, but just to be clear, this is underneath a traditional patio roof that is about 4.5ft deep, so the entire structure will be sheltered.
Then it probably doesn't matter how you access the nests.

I am thinking about rather than raising it, putting it directly on the concrete slab for ease of cleaning.
That could work, if you want to be stooped over or on your knees while cleaning.

Back
Top Bottom