World’s Cutest Thanksgiving dinner

Well, we sold 6 poults and kept 4: Mercedes and Greenbird, and the 2 biggest ones. Their new habit is to fly out of the brooder aiming for a lap! Fun now, but not so much in a few weeks.

92E48924-7452-44CF-8F61-5AC931470933.jpeg

What I’m starting to do now is little massages in the brooder. Hopefully the more they’re handled, the less stressful processing day will be for them. I think my target live weight is around 20 pounds to get a 15 pound processed weight.

Well, we sold 6 poults and kept 4: Mercedes and Greenbird, and the 2 biggest ones. Their new habit is to fly out of the brooder aiming for a lap! Fun now, but not so much in a few weeks.

View attachment 2643804
What I’m starting to do now is little massages in the brooder. Hopefully the more they’re handled, the less stressful processing day will be for them. I think my target live weight is around 20 pounds to get a 15 pound processed weight.
Seeing turkeys are a lot bigger than a chicken, do you use the same technique to cull them and gut them?

Seeing turkeys are a lot bigger than a chicken, do you use the same technique to cull them and gut them?
My methods won’t really change, but I’ll have to make some equipment adjustments. I don’t have a restraining cone big enough, so I’ll have to either hang them by the feet or use a towel straitjacket. The scalder is big enough, and the ice bath will either be the usual 5-gallon bucket or an ice chest.

It will be a learning experience for sure — my dad always did the turkey process while the rest of us weren’t home. So this will be a first time for me doing turkey.

Time for an update — week 8.5

Today the poults decided to pre-season themselves by taking turns dust bathing in a garlic patch (RIP, garlic!) and sneaking into the garden to stuff themselves with tomatoes. They are very on-board with this Thanksgiving thing!

801EBDA0-1605-42F3-9C6D-CBE549A8809F.jpeg

So I went ahead and weighed them:
Costello - 8.75 pounds
Abbott - 10.25 pounds
Martin Greenbird - 9.5 pounds
Mercedes Turkey - 10.25 pounds

An average weight of over 9.5 pounds. :celebrate I don’t know meat turkeys, but this seems pretty decent to me. The growth rate seemed much slower than Cornish cross chickens for the first few weeks. Now they’re gaining weight fast. Of course by this age all my CX were in the freezer already, so I can’t really compare.

Back
Top Bottom