Can you eat and what is it?

Achickenmama

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2021
This was our first (possibly last) time raising turkeys and when processing them, noticed spots on one of the birds livers. Some of the others had some foamy white and pink(more and likely from blood) inside. They also did not eat for 24hrs. Are these birds still good to consume? They got to free range the yard during the day with the chickens.

Last edited:
This was our first (possibly last) time raising turkeys and when processing them, noticed spots on one of the birds livers. Some of the others had some foamy white and pink(more and likely from blood) inside. They also did not eat for 24hrs. Are these birds still good to consume? They got to free range the yard during the day with the chickens.
Pictures are always nice?
At the time, I was unable to get a picture due to processing. I can only describe. Darker spots with white around it on the liver and foamy stuff near the rib cage.

At the time, I was unable to get a picture due to processing. I can only describe. Darker spots with white around it on the liver and foamy stuff near the rib cage.
Blackhead - If the liver looks like this, do not eat any part of the bird.
image1 (1).jpeg

We only eat perfectly healthy birds/meat from animals we raised and/ or hunted ourselves.

The risk of getting ill/contaminated is much too high and just not worth it.

And even more so with increasing rates of antibiotic resistance.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom