World’s Cutest Thanksgiving dinner

For warning though! You will fall in love with it! No joke they are puppies in the bodies of birds and they have the biggest personalities. Mine followed me around EVERYWHERE as a baby and literally demanded to be held and cuddled and even though he’s a big ol Tom now he’ll try to crawl in my lap if i’m sitting down. If it’s your first time with turkeys my best advice is to detach yourself asap no matter how much they want to love on you, that or if you’re 100% okay with it emotionally love them with all your little heart but know that essentially you are going to have to butcher them and that it’ll definitely be heartbreaking the more of an attachment you have.
It is the same with the cute little male cockerels. You just have to love them when they are little, then when they get big say goodbye. I look at raising meat birds this way, they have a good life, but it is just short.

For warning though! You will fall in love with it! No joke they are puppies in the bodies of birds and they have the biggest personalities. Mine followed me around EVERYWHERE as a baby and literally demanded to be held and cuddled and even though he’s a big ol Tom now he’ll try to crawl in my lap if i’m sitting down. If it’s your first time with turkeys my best advice is to detach yourself asap no matter how much they want to love on you, that or if you’re 100% okay with it emotionally love them with all your little heart but know that essentially you are going to have to butcher them and that it’ll definitely be heartbreaking the more of an attachment you have.
Absolutely 100% agree. Our meaties get a lot of affection, but always with the knowledge that they will be dinner someday.

Is it normal for turkeys to insist on roosting too high to jump down? Mine get up almost 4 feet above a concrete floor in the shed, then wait in the morning for me to lift them down to get the floor. Come to think of it, they also do this on a 3-foot-high brick wall in the backyard. I think I’m being played.

Is it normal for turkeys to insist on roosting too high to jump down? Mine get up almost 4 feet above a concrete floor in the shed, then wait in the morning for me to lift them down to get the floor. Come to think of it, they also do this on a 3-foot-high brick wall in the backyard. I think I’m being played.
My boy in his “turkey teens” tried roosting in way too high of areas but when he got too big he stopped trying. How old is yours?

My boy in his “turkey teens” tried roosting in way too high of areas but when he got too big he stopped trying. How old is yours?
12 weeks. They’re BBW, so I can’t tell who is a boy. One is almost 2 pounds lighter, so I’ve guessed that one is a girl.

Heritage turkeys fly extremely well. Extremely, I would not expect them to have any issues with flying down from 4 feet. My midget white sure didn't.

But yours are BB, not heritage. I can't remember who on here said their BB flew really well when they were younger but could not when they were older. I don't know at what age they transition.

Are you being played? I don't know but they fly up there don't they?

Back
Top Bottom