Worlds greatest Rooster!!!

My wife locked the chickens up the other night as I was under the weather.

The coop Brutus lives in is about 50 ft from the back door and we can watch the door to the coop from the kitchen.

She wanted to know when she should lock the door. I told her as soon as Brutus puts the rest of the chickens in the coop.

She laughed at me, as if she thought I was making up a story. Then she looked out the window and said " what is Brutus doing?

I asked her, "why"

She said " he is chasing the other chickens"

I told her, "to watch, learn and get ready to apologize for disbelieving me"

Then Brutus chased a Dixie Rainbow rooster to the other coop, about 100 yards away. No one gets into Brutus's coop unless they belong there. Brutus came back and returned to rounding up his flock.

She was amazed, Brutus was going around the corners of the coop and chasing chickens into the coop. Brutus spent about 10 minutes getting all the chickens into the coop, then went and stood in the door looking out.

I said" Now you can go lock the door".

However, I have not heard the apology for disbelieving me yet.......... I am sure it was an oversight.

I am going to be moving Brutus and the remaining chickens after "camp day" to the other coop. Brutus chased a rooster this morning that had the audacity to crow into the other coop. I though Brutus was going to follow him into the coop. He stopped when his shoulders got to the door. I made a 9 inch wide doorway. Brutus appears to need a door that is 11 inches wide!

Last night, my Wife was feeding the chickens during Chicken TV hour, I was under the weather still. She claims two Eagles or Hawks flew over the flock at about the height of out steel shed, about 20 ft. She says Brutus gave a call and all the chickens scattered, hiding under trees , cars wagons and what not. The Mrs. says the Eagles ( she said they had white heads, so I assume Eagles) never made a second pass. I told her Brutus threatened to kick the Eagles butt if they ever come back.

Again she disbelieved me. why/

Do you write for a living because you absolutely should! I love to read your post
smile.png

LOL well thank you!

But nope, I am retired and have no living now.

I actually use to fly for a living, Air Ambulance, transport, corporate, Helicopter and fixed wings. Not for the airlines.

You should now, self publishing is easy i think :) haha. I have never done it . But You should look into it, of course this is coming from a chicken person. But i posted the link to this thread to a chicken facebook page i am on. :)

Actually you will find that many roosters are like Brutus! Roosters will typically run to confront the enemy, be it a hawk, or otherwise, to defend the hens. When they find a juicy morsel, even if they are hungry, they will pick it up, drop it, make a distinctive cackle, until one of the hens runs over to eat it, sometimes from his beak. They are very chivalrous, but can be somewhat harsh when maintaining order, as when getting the hens to the roost as evening falls. Chickens are descendants of red jungle fowls, native to the southern slopes of the Himalaya mountains, and still have many wild traits. An aside, I found it fascinating that chicken bones found in Peru, pre-date the arrival of Columbus, and are genetically similar to chickens found today on Samoa, which clearly indicates that South America was colonized by people from Polynesia by boat as well as from those crossing the Bering land bridge, very interesting! May Brutus continue to provide protection to your flock for years to come. My rooster Henry survived a hawk and raccoon attack, but was killed recently by a bobcat at 6 years of age, he was a wonderful bird and I miss him.

Hello, was reading about your wonderful rooster (Brutus) and I have to ask you , Do you think he is so special? I bet half of people in here, BYC, have special fowl just like him. I do, 23 hens he cares for and they swoon for him . Why just awhile ago at the start of the molt this year I started to notice that several hens were losing feathers on the top of their back and I figured that the Roo was getting a little bit too rough on the girls so, I bought some feather fixer feed(pricey) and quarented the Roo , tough love right!!!! Days began, the hens march around his pen, after two weeks they just layed down around outside and stayed there. I watched daily as he started pulling out his beautiful tail feathers , finally at two and a half weeks I could'nt stand it anymore, I let him out and my little farm is back to perfect again and I do love to hear the rooster crow

You should definitely write a book about Brutus, his life and loves.

It is not so much that he is an unusual bird, but that you tell the story in such a way that it is an interesting and funny read.

You could be like George RR Martin with his Game of Thrones books, write a couple of volumes and then keep everyone waiting for the next one.

I for one, would happily buy a first edition, signed (by Brutus not you!) copy as I'm sure the books would become chicken folklore.

I can just see kids reading them to their chickens!

Keep on writing

I have a frizzle n Brabanter mix a really cool mix he is great with the girls,and looks out for them.I put a picture in let me know if it works.thanks to all.I live in Lexington sc 29072,,Barry

You should definitely write a book about Brutus, his life and loves.

It is not so much that he is an unusual bird, but that you tell the story in such a way that it is an interesting and funny read.

You could be like George RR Martin with his Game of Thrones books, write a couple of volumes and then keep everyone waiting for the next one.

I for one, would happily buy a first edition, signed (by Brutus not you!) copy as I'm sure the books would become chicken folklore.

I can just see kids reading them to their chickens!

Keep on writing
Ditto!!

I see we have some detractors to the greatness of Brutus in our midst. We welcome you to the thread.

If Brutus was an average rooster, or like many other good or even great roosters, I would have titled this thread "Another so-so Rooster" or "Brutus the average " or maybe even "the tale of the worlds second best rooster". I didn't simply because he is the worlds greatest rooster. Chicks everywhere will hear and learn from the legends of Brutus.

Just a little bit about what Brutus did last night, then you tell me how great your roosters are.

I got a fantastic deal ( free) on 5 cases of tomatoes yesterday. I know some of my chickens like tomatoes, based on the fact they denuded my wife's tomato plants a few months back. Brutus, of course, was not part of this vandalism. In fact when I talked to Brutus about how upset my wife was over the tomatoes, (which I wrote about in another thread) he took matters into his own wings and put a stop to it. We have not had a chicken in the tomatoes in over 6 weeks now!

Anyways, back to last night, I took a case of tomatoes out for chicken TV time. I set them on the ground and went and got my chair. the chickens basically ignored the box. I set my chair up next to the box and all the chickens came running over. I talked to the chickens for a few minutes and started rolling out the tomatoes (literally). The chickens were not sure what to think of them, they had never eaten a tomato on the ground. Many of them appeared to think they were something alien. They had never seen a tomato on the ground, they had always sampled them from the vine 2-3 feet up in the air.

It took a few minutes before the first one gave it a peck, then they were off! Every last chicken was eating a tomato, some would pick up the tomato and run playing keep away from the rest.
I noticed Brutus was not really getting into the tomatoes. He was standing next to me, he would pick one up then set it in front of another bird. I was beginning to think Brutus did not like tomatoes, which is understandable, because I do not like tomatoes either.

Brutus cocked his head at me, giving me the eye. I was trying to figure out what he wanted. Brutus jumped up on the case of tomatoes and looked at me as if I was beneath contempt for not understanding he did not want or like tomatoes, I still do not know which it is. I asked him what he wanted.

Brutus as if understanding me, jumped down and headed to the coop with the grain in it. This is unusual because Brutus lives in the other coop. I watched him . thinking to myself "what is he up to now".

Brutus took about 6 steps towards the coop, Then stopped and looked at me. Brutus came back towards me and then turned back towards the coop. It then dawned upon me Brutus wanted me to follow him. I was so amazed at his ability to communicate this to me, I got up from my chair in awe and headed to the coop. When I got to the coop, Brutus stood off to the side. I figured by now Brutus would prefer grain over tomatoes, (smart Rooster, after all who really likes tomatoes?)

I went into the coop and grabbed a scoop partially full of oats and then filled the scoop with corn. I brought it out and threw the grains on the ground. A few chickens left the tomatoes for the grain. Brutus just stood there giving me the evil eye.

I really had no idea what I did wrong. I finally looked at Brutus and said, " I give, what do you want?"

Brutus, again understood me, went into the coop and took his left wing and pointed at the mixed wild bird seed. I thought ok, that must be what he wants.

I got a scoop of the wild bird seed out and gave it to Brutus. Brutus then went to town on that seed. He was all smiles and grins. I have never seen a happier rooster......

Now if you guys have a rooster that can do this, like Brutus does, we can have a rooster contest for the title "world's greatest rooster". Until then just read the saga of Brutus to your roosters in the hopes they will pick Brutus as a role model........

If I do not forget I will tell you soon about Brutus and his adventures as a agent for the local Sheriff.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom