World's Oldest Chickens

chickiebaby

Songster
12 Years
Jan 2, 2008
western mass
I just noticed a lovely post by Henrietta23 about her ten year old chicken who might be getting ready to leave this earth for greener pastures. Made me wonder how old our oldest birds are?

I know we all raise them differently; I myself haven't been doing this long enough to have anything like a ten year old, and many eat 'em and restock nearly yearly, I know.

But post a description or pic of your oldest chicken, and lets pay some respect to our Senior Citizens, the Golden (Laced?) Girls, the Founding Mothers of our flocks:

Show Us Your Old Biddies!

Thats a great idea! Mine are all under a year but I will keep an eye on this thread. I can't wait to see and read about your most "honored" chicken.
D.gif

I read a little story about a woman once who had a polish hen named Grandma Chicken. She was 12 and the ladies grand-daughters, just little tots, would sit in lawn cahirs with the hen on their lap and tell her stories. I thought it was very sweet and quite incredible for a bird to live that long!

the oldest chicken i had was.. right around 14-15 i believe. the oldest at the moment i have is 3 years. (i have a few hens on the yard that are easily 12 though, although im not SURE).. had a friend that had a BREEDING pair at 18 years old.

-Daniel

Here is my Rocky who passed away just a few hours ago. She is one of the chickens that gave me the title of chicken thief. My next door neighbor raised her and 24 other chicks then stopped caring for them. He shot the one that turned out to be a rooster and the others started disappearing one by one. He was in HS at the time and I suspect he lost interest and was processing and eating them one by one. Well, Rocky and her sister Lucy were eventually the only two left and rather than wait around for their "turn" they started coming under the fence and hanging out with my girls. Soon they were roosting in the rhododendron bush outside my bedroom window. They had no desire to go back home where this kid wasn't even locking their shelter up at night anymore. So after two nights of worrying that they'd be taken by a fox I scooped them up and put them in with my girls. They stayed and I became a chicken thief.
Rocky.jpg

Rest in peace sweet girl. You were well loved!

Okay, Bawkadoodle and D.T., tell us names and breeds. Or anything in particular -- or pics. I love that beautiful seven year old with babies. Awwww.

I reached forty recently and my close up vision started to go, right on cue. I can already see that old age ain't for sissies.

Quote:
my 3 year old is a Blue old english game bantam (got just today actually, ). others i named off were american gamefowl.

Blue%20cock.jpg
best photo i have of him right now, hes in the shade so cant see his color that well.

-Daniel

HATE HATE HATE these images for the forum.. have so much trouble with it

And... Voila.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom