Worm balls in crop!!!

Could you be feeling strands of grass or straw in the crop?
No, it's definitely worms. I can feel the bodies. I had my husband feel them too, just to make sure I wasn't crazy cause, you know, a ball of worms in the crop isn't something you come across everyday, or ever. He agreed with me and will not ever feel a chickens crop again, the baby.

No, it's definitely worms. I can feel the bodies. I had my husband feel them too, just to make sure I wasn't crazy cause, you know, a ball of worms in the crop isn't something you come across everyday, or ever. He agreed with me and will not ever feel a chickens crop again, the baby.
You're not crazy, one rare occasion I lost a chicken and did a post mortem, and the crop was full of worms, so it is possible they can get tangled up and caught in there. I guess it is kind of hard to explain how they got there if you think about it.

In additiom to the 20 mL extra water at night, in the morning you cam give another 20 mL to flush out any material left over from the night. Sometimes when a crop didnt empty at night because they didn't drink enough, I will feel it in the morning and give them watwr until the crop is full of water.

Hey, start adding mothers apple cider vinegar to your water. Lessens chance of sour crop. Makes the chicken less inhabital to worms. One capful per gallon of water.

Hey, start adding mothers apple cider vinegar to your water. Lessens chance of sour crop. Makes the chicken less inhabital to worms. One capful per gallon of water.
Oh, I forgot to add, I haven’t tried food grade diatomous earth yet, but there seems to be you can get some to add to there food from tractor supply. A little, as not too much. Too much could cause issue. They have the red clay variety.

Oh, I forgot to add, I haven’t tried food grade diatomous earth yet, but there seems to be you can get some to add to there food from tractor supply. A little, as not too much. Too much could cause issue. They have the red clay variety.
Acv may help sour crop but not in that dilution, but it won't do anything for worms. De doesn't do a single thing for internal or external parasites and shouldn't be put anywhere a bird or you can breathe, it causes respiratory system issues.

I wonder what's underlying that's creating such a condition.. is it poor nutrition (too many treats or no formulated ration), Marek's, etc. Brainstorming here.. looking at the bigger picture.

The worms may be a symptom.. NOT the cause.

Sorry you face this! :(

Please do get a necropsy done by a qualified pathologist. :fl

Thank you. I've been doing ACV for about 2 years now. I also stopped using the DE after reading more about the affects it has on chickens. I'm currently researching using sulfur. Have you heard anything about it or used it yourself? I read a study where it was used to treat Northern foul mites and it was so effective even the birds that didn't dust bath in it were mite free after so many weeks, I think it was 4.

Back
Top Bottom