Worm in poop during deworming

I have seen roundworms on my chickens poop. I have the safeguard paste. How much do I put in a gal of water? I have 70 chickens. I cannot give orally to each one individually.

thank you for the detailed information!

@coach723 do you use safeguard every time you worm? Could that eventually cause the safeguard to not work as effectively since they are getting it fairly often?
You can alternate every time.
Just don't forget to re-dose at the 10 day mark to get any remaining eggs.
Free range chickens can do more times a year. Also depends on your climate, etc. You can start with 2x year for a healthy flock.

I have seen roundworms on my chickens poop. I have the safeguard paste. How much do I put in a gal of water? I have 70 chickens. I cannot give orally to each one individually.
You will want to use powdered dewormer that's meant to go in water; I believe it's fenbendazole. I don't know the dose for your flock but that's the water soluble kind.

The only Safeguard you can mix in water is Safeguard Aquasol, which is really expensive. There is a method for mixing the liquid goat wormer in feed, you will need to do some math and figuring, the instructions are here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/safeguard-mash-zero-day-egg-withdrawal.1254653/
HOWEVER, be aware that you will have no way to know if each individual bird actually takes in enough to get the correct dose. It's much better to direct dose each bird so that you KNOW they got the correct dose. Sometimes birds carrying worms don't eat or drink well if they aren't feeling well. Under dosing can lead to medication resistant parasites.
If you divide up your flock into recognizable groups (by breed for example) do all those one day, then do the next group the next day, etc. I do 2 dozen birds direct dose every 3 months, takes me about 1/2 hour to 45 min.

The only Safeguard you can mix in water is Safeguard Aquasol, which is really expensive. There is a method for mixing the liquid goat wormer in feed, you will need to do some math and figuring, the instructions are here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/safeguard-mash-zero-day-egg-withdrawal.1254653/
HOWEVER, be aware that you will have no way to know if each individual bird actually takes in enough to get the correct dose. It's much better to direct dose each bird so that you KNOW they got the correct dose. Sometimes birds carrying worms don't eat or drink well if they aren't feeling well. Under dosing can lead to medication resistant parasites.
If you divide up your flock into recognizable groups (by breed for example) do all those one day, then do the next group the next day, etc. I do 2 dozen birds direct dose every 3 months, takes me about 1/2 hour to 45 min.
This is why I will do my birds each- OP - go into your coop at night and go down the line, bird by bird, and dose them all.

So what would be the dosage of the paste if I direct feed it to each one?

.23 ml per pound of bird weight. If you are treating just roundworm you do that dose twice, 10 days apart. If you don't know what parasite you are worming for then you do that dose 5 days in a row. That will take care of everything except tapeworm.

Back
Top Bottom