Worm in poop during deworming

.23 ml per pound of bird weight. If you are treating just roundworm you do that dose twice, 10 days apart. If you don't know what parasite you are worming for then you do that dose 5 days in a row. That will take care of everything except tapeworm.
Its roundworms. I have seen them in their poop.

Thank you so much

You redose in 10 days, not 20. Any dosing after that is based on the needs of your individual flock. Some can worm once or twice a year, some need to do more often than that, just depends on your particular environments worm load.

I am quite sure, this is a round worm. What is that brown thing?

This was hanging from the butt of my 6 month old Bantam Cockerell.

I have a flock of 5 chickens, 3 (1 bantam) Cockerell and 2 hens.

Shall i deworm all of them with Safeguard? I live in the UK.

I have never deworm anyone before.

Your help is appreciated. :fl

120351.jpg

I can't zoom in to see if that's a roundworm or not for sure, looks more like a long bit of intestinal shed to me with this view. If you can repost as a full image, it can be zoomed in on. A picture of roundworms below for comparison.
How is the bird acting? Normal, or any lethargy, weight loss, acting off, etc? If this is a one time thing and the bird is acting normally, then I would just watch to see if it happens again. Occasional shed can be nothing to worry about.
Coccidiosis and worms can cause increased intestinal shed. If you are seeing a lot of this, runny, mucousy droppings, the bird seems lethargic, sleepy, not eating or drinking well, or you see blood in the droppings, then I would treat for coccidiosis with amprolium. If the bird is acting normal, and you are seeing this regularly rather than occasional, then worming may help. If you have a vet that will do a fecal test for you they can look for both worms and coccidia. If you need to worm then Safeguard is commonly used.
1594967-8c747f674a4baaa96c20a1c3876bf3e4.jpg

Hi, thank you so much for your reply.

What does it mean by intestinal shed?

He is normal, no signs of fatigue, etc.

I fed him just now raw garlic.

I have ordered Panacur 10% Oral suspension solution for deworming.

Intestinal shed is from some kind of irritation in the digestive tract. It can be transient, minor, and nothing to worry about if it just happens occasionally. If it happens regularly, you are seeing it a lot, or accompanied by runny or mucousy droppings then it could be a sign of something going on. Worms and coccidiosis being the most common causes. Panacur is the same medication as Safeguard, just a different brand, and equally effective. Roundworm tends to be the most common in most areas, but without a visual of the worms or a fecal to confirm, it's just guessing. Often you won't actually ever see a worm, they live their entire life cycle inside the host and then are digested when they die. The fecal looks for the eggs, which are microscopic. Worming is generally pretty safe, so if in doubt better to just do it.

Safeguard and Valbazen are both good to use, the both kill the worms more slowly and there is less risk of overloading the system with dieing worms. I use both regularly. I have to worm for roundworm about every 3 months in my flock, every flock is different. Some people can do once or twice a year, some have to do even more often than I. I found my frequency by watching the birds, and droppings. I tend to start seeing runny droppings, and weight loss can be an early sign also, though you won't know unless you pick them up and feel them. Feathers hide a lot. With heavy loads of worms you can see slow and doughy crops, and sometimes complete crop stasis from what's going on in the gut. Early on I lost a couple of birds to secondary infections from roundworm, so I don't mess around with it any more. I've had some very sick birds from roundworm. I've been worming for years and there have been no negative effects in my flock, there were negative effects from not worming. I've never killed a bird by worming it. Again, every flock is different, every environment has a different worm load, so what works for you may not be the same as what works for someone else. I have a near neighbor that does not have the worm load I have, even though we live fairly near to each other. Once the bird has picked up the worms they can multiply rapidly, so you can go from zero to a heavy load rather quickly.
What would be the standard dosing per hen? Is it a per weight amount? I only have 5 and would like to give each their dose and not in the water.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom