Wormed to much?

mandyok

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 20, 2014
Southern Ok
Well I have wormed my peafowl 2 months ago with the safeguard. I took a fecal in for loss bowl movements and a yellow tint thought cocci. No cocci was found but they had worms so they gave me ivermectin mixed with something to give orally. I gave all of them the dose about a week and a half ago. All seemed well now, but this one hen acts like she doesn't feel well. No diarrhea or anything that tells me she is sick. Just a feeling I guess, she is laying so I can't look for dropping wings. I have every known medicine that has been mentioned on here so what do you think I should do? I can take her into the vet on Saturday and he can look her over but I hate to be out if it is nothing or something I could treat at home. I thought maybe to much wormer maybe. Any suggestions?

How did you worm them and how much did you use
Did you worm them just one day or several
Did you repeat in 10 days

How long had it been before you wormed them the last time 2 months 3 ,4 ,5 ,6 ?

Well I had wormed them with safegaurd on bread individually about three months ago now. Repeat in 10 days. Then about 2 and a half weeks ago I thought it was cocci but they didn't find that so he said use ivermectin mixed with something they mixed and he said 1cc per 8 lbs by mouth and he said do not repeat. So no more diarrhea but sonething feels off.

Medication was fine. No problem there. It could still be worms. Ivermectin is NOT a complete wormer. I would also be concerned about blackhead from the worms.

If she were mine I would continue to watch her very closely for a few days. Any increase in lethargy or that gut feeling she is sick and she would get an oral dose of Valbazen and three days of Metronidazole.

We have moved completely away from Ivermectin as a wormer. I do still use it externally for mites, etc. after breeding season.

Try giving her some yogurt ( without artificial sweeteners.) What the vet added to the ivermectin was probably preq (that I can't spell) to get rid of other worms. I'm not sure about oral, but I know the pour on ivermectin works for something like 15 days, so before I wormed her again I would wait it out and take a fecal sample to the vet. Where I am in MI, ivermectin works well still, so its a crap shoot and your vet should know whether it works in your area. Please excuse me if I'm telling you something you already know, but you need to rotate 3 different "familys" of wormers so the parasites in your area don't become resistant to one.

Thank you all so much for your advice. I looked this morning and she is happy go lucky again I took a fecal in today and they said nothing there. I did catch her and she is around 7 lbs I just held her while I stood on the scale, so around about figure. She seems ok and she laid an egg last evening. I guess I was borrowing trouble
1f60a.png
or at least I hope I am. I will keep a close eye on her. Here is poop shot just for you Kathy, please tell me if you see anything never hurts to have second opinions.

Cecal looks great! Can you post a picture of the other type? You know, the type that looks like chicken poop? :D

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom