wormer without egg withdrawal?

Fraunie

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 8, 2012
Elfin Forest
Is there a wormer that has no egg withdrawal? I have used valbazen before, but throwing all those eggs for so long killed me. I''m looking for something to get rid of some worms I have in some chickens (eggs in droppings) and also something as preventative. I've searched the archives, but seems like some recommendations are several years old and wondering if there is something new.

Thanks,

In the US there are no wormers "approved" for use in laying hens, but in the UK there are two that are approved, fenbendazole (Safguard and Panacur), and flubendazole (flubenvet), and in Canada, piperazine (Wazine) is approved.

So Wazine is sold here and, I see not for egg producers. I have never really been concerned with worming but I am seeing dirty behinds and was thinking maybe it was time to worm. Do you know if you can use a childs microscope to examine a stool sample. its a good metal one but, don't know what level of power that it is.

So Wazine is sold here and, I see not for egg producers. I have never really been concerned with worming but I am seeing dirty behinds and was thinking maybe it was time to worm. Do you know if you can use a childs microscope to examine a stool sample. its a good metal one but, don't know what level of power that it is.
Wazine is sold here, but it is not approved for use in egg laying hens in the US. Other counties yes, but not here. One should also know that Wazine only treats large roundworms, so that's something to consider as well.

Anyway, I think it would be better to collect a bunch of fresh poop and have a vet do a fecal float. Based on what I have read, one gets better results when a centrifuge is used. Even better would be to take a hen with a poopy butt to the vet and see what they think.

If you want to learn how to do them, read this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1047614/doing-fecal-floats-at-home

This vet says centrifugation is the way to go http://www.capcvet.org/expert-articles/why-fecal-centrifugation-is-better/

"I perform an interesting exercise every year in my parasitology class by using a fecal sample from a dog with a hookworm burden typical of what practitioners would see in pet dogs. The students are divided into three groups. One group performs a direct smear, another group mixes 2 g of feces with flotation solution and performs a passive flotation procedure, and the third group uses 2 g of feces and performs the centrifugal flotation procedure.
Each year the results are graphic. Usually only 25% of the students performing the direct smear recover hookworm eggs. About 70% of the students performing the passive flotation procedure report seeing hookworm eggs. And every year, without exception, 100% of the students performing the centrifugal flotation procedure report recovering hookworm eggs. This simple exercise convinces my students of the improved sensitivity of centrifugation. Improved recovery rates using centrifugal flotation procedures are also substantiated by published studies.1-4"

Thanks Casportpony interesting, Yes I will make a few phone calls and see best course of action. Thanks for the explanation of the different types of testing. Very interesting, I did do some research and did find that there are different worm types with different control drugs. Phone calls will be made, thanks so much for your time.

Back
Top Bottom