wormer

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by micayc, May 25, 2011.

1. micayc

micayc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2010
    Centrel PA
    what do you recomend as wormer for my peas? I was told not to put them down on dirt till 2 months old.is this true?

2. 6littlechickies

6littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    Safeguard goat wormer and ivermectin are the two most commonly used, alternately use them. Yes many do keep them up off the ground. It is easier to keep a controlled environment that way.

Safeguard 3-5 mL per gallon for 3 days.

3. featherhead

featherhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2008
    Kentucky, USA
    I've always kept chicks off the ground for 4 months. Once I started doing that, not one ever got sick. And when I sold them, the buyer thought they were older than they really were because they were so healthy and large. Peas' immune systems aren't fully developed until around 5-6 months from what the experts have said.

4. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Quote:How much ivomectin ..I have the injectable but don't want to inject

I can inject into piece of bread? How many cc's per pea?

Thank u
    Xoxo

5. 6littlechickies

6littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    We use the paste for horses(apple flavored [​IMG]), small pea size bit right in the mouth. Very small amount used when you consider these are made for large livestock. Others put a very small amount, couple drops between the shoulders on the skin when using pour on.

Also Ivermectin is a little stronger and stays in the system longer. It also helps with some worms safeguard does not as well as mites and other chewing insects birds can get. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  6. Hoss1975

Hoss1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    north central Indiana
    I use quest horse dewormer,i use on all my birds,pigeons,chickens and turkeys.It works on all parasites internal and external and it's effective for 30 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by