wormers safe for in chickens water?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spish, Nov 3, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    can anyone tell me which wormers are safe to use with chickens that can be distributed in water..and at what dose please?

im getting all confused. my chickens have already been wormed with flubenvet (mix with food) but i found this tricky to dish out and would like next time to try an 'in the water' wormer.

i believe some wormers for horses/cattle/sheep are safe..but which ones??

2. JimWWhite

JimWWhite Chillin' With My Peeps

We have 30 laying hens and we don't use a conventional wormer. What we do each morning is make up a mush in a one gallon pitcher that consists of: 1 rounded tablespoon of cayenne pepper, 1/2 cup of sugar, 2 quarts of very warm water, and then we mix in their layer pellets and stir it up to a loose mush. Then we pour it out in a couple of large black water bowls we have in the run and try to get out of the way before the carnage envolves us too. Someone recommended the cayenne pepper here last year and it seems to work. I think the sugar gives them a little extra boost too, especially now that the weather has cooled off. But they sure love it. It's gone in just a few minutes and you can usually hear a couple of them pecking at the bowls throughout the day trying to get one more crumb from the corner. For some reason we stopped giving them this back in the early summer because we just got out of the habit. We just started giving it to them again about 3 weeks ago and I don't know if there's a connection but egg production jumped from about 22 a day average to 26 and the eggs are larger, the shells stronger, and the yolks are darker yellow, almost an orange again. Oh, and we've seen no signs of worms either.

3. featherbaby

featherbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    Everyone I know uses Wazine in the water. Dilution is 2 T. per Gallon of water (check your individual bottle's directions). You leave it in the drinking water only one day. It's recommended to do it twice a year. To take care of the other type of worms you use Ivermectin as directed. There is a recent thread dealing with this, do a search and you'll get lots of info.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by