Worming a duck

ethelandfred

Chirping
Apr 2, 2015
Vermont
After doing a serious amount of research since my female duck passed I've come to the possibility that it would have been due to worms.

I'm still not 100% - as not all of her symptoms matched but since I still have my male and he's going to get a buddy sometime this week I want to be safe.

My ducks have never been wormed, I didn't realize worms could be an issue to be honest.

My male has always been thin and since my female has been gone I've noticed he doesn't eat as much (which could be loneliness too I'm sure) he's still preening and dabbling and acting normal.

My questions are;

How do you tell if a duck is underweight?

My male was always smaller than my female he's a Cayuga, and she was a blue Swedish.

What kind of wormer should I use?

I have quite a few farm and tack stores around so I'm sure I could find what I'm looking for. But I have no clue where to start.

Also should I wait to worm him and his new coming buddy at the same time?

Thanks!

Hi. :frow

Sorry for your loss. :(

I highly recommend that you take a fecal sample to the vet for a float test. Usually around $15. That way they can tell you IF you even have worms, but also the species so you can treat for the correct one since not all wormers treat every species. Stinks to treat for worms you don't have or for the wrong ones and THINK you've done something good.

To check weight, you can find out what is standard for the breed and then weigh your birds. But you have to allow for some discrepancy, it won't likely be exact. 2 birds from the same parent can even have different sizes and often do. Here is a breed comparison chart, it shows Swedish as slightly heavier than Cayuga...
http://www.metzerfarms.com/DuckBreedComparison.cfm?affiliate=undef&CustID=16502093

It's true he made need a new companion!

Not all symptoms will match illnesses most of the time. Every individual may exhibit some but not all, or none.. and they may not respond to treatment in the same way either. For example, ibuprofen works well for me while not so much for others.

Hope your drake is well and maybe finds a new friend. :fl

Hi. :frow

Sorry for your loss. :(

I highly recommend that you take a fecal sample to the vet for a float test. Usually around $15. That way they can tell you IF you even have worms, but also the species so you can treat for the correct one since not all wormers treat every species. Stinks to treat for worms you don't have or for the wrong ones and THINK you've done something good.

To check weight, you can find out what is standard for the breed and then weigh your birds. But you have to allow for some discrepancy, it won't likely be exact. 2 birds from the same parent can even have different sizes and often do. Here is a breed comparison chart, it shows Swedish as slightly heavier than Cayuga...
http://www.metzerfarms.com/DuckBreedComparison.cfm?affiliate=undef&CustID=16502093

It's true he made need a new companion!

Not all symptoms will match illnesses most of the time. Every individual may exhibit some but not all, or none.. and they may not respond to treatment in the same way either. For example, ibuprofen works well for me while not so much for others.

Hope your drake is well and maybe finds a new friend. :fl
That makes sense. I'm going to call my regular vet tomorrow and check about a fecal sample. They'll probably think I'm crazy!

He's been acting fine other than adjusting to losing his mate so I'm probably just being paranoid but I figured it wouldn't hurt to try.

Thanks for the link! I'm not entirely sure what he weighs exactly I may have to dig out a scale and minus my weight from holding him or something.

We get his buddy this Tuesday, I'm nervous but hoping all goes well. Losing his mate was rough, I was upset myself but it was worse watching him look and not understand what was going on or where she went.

I hope the boys will get along! I realize it'll be a process but I'm hoping for the best. He was raised alone as far as I know (long story short we found him walking a sidewalk in the city) and he's only ever been with my female so boy will be different territory for him.

I have never wormed any Ducks or Chickens....Although I have not had any issues.....I think it depends on where you live and how clean you maintain their environment ?.....

I haven't wormed in 6 years of owning birds, and never THOUGHT I had an issue. I will be having a fecal float done 1-2 times per year now that I know it could be an issue. No noticeable symptoms in my flock either.

It's true that maintaining a healthy environment CAN help... but some of the intestinal worm that are an issue can easily be contracted by fowl because the eggs of one of the parasitic species CAN be on standard earth worm which get ingested and hatch inside the host. Sorry, I am not sure which species it is.

I was told by a Swine and Poultry Vet here that Chickens and Ducks do not need wormer unless they become totally infested...Most times in my location it's never needed ....Non of my friends worm Birds....That is a total decision for the owner though...:frow

Back
Top Bottom