Worming Chickens?

Most creatures, great and small, carry worms and parasites. Yes; that includes YOU, too! If your chickens are fed a strick diet of commercial feed then you might want to deworm from time to time. Especially if they were raised when chicks isolated from their natural environment. Studies suggest that if they are free-ranged* from birth, they are much better equipt to handle the natural order of things that come their way.

*Meaning; fed a natural diet and in a more native/natural environment.

Quote:
Humans do not "carry" worms and parasites. Humans can be infected with them if exposed, but do not carry them.

If you live in a climate that is conducive to parasites (you have dogs on heartworm preventatives, wet or humid climate, non-freezing temps, fleas on other animals) then I would consider routinely de-worming once/year or if you have suspicious symptoms / see worms. I happen to live in an area that is rarely conducive to parasites (one the other hand this year we have been wet enough to have fleas on our dogs!) so I only de-worm if I get a positive fecal float back from the vet...and I take a sample routinely once/ year...or if I see something in the poop otherwise.

I've been procrastinating about worming my little flock so I bought myself a de-wormer for Christmas... oh yay. Considering the bad luck I've had this year, I'm not a vaccinate and worm FREAK. Don't want anymore treatments.

Last edited:
Quote:
Ummm... Yes; yes we are... Both beneficial and non-beneficial parasites reside in our bodies. Silly me for actually reviewing research done, huh?

Quote:
No.

I look forward to eating later on in the day so...
lol.png

I spoke to an avian veterinarian about chickens and parasites such as worms and cocci and asked for the best way to deal with it. She said its best to check a fresh flock fecal (FFF) twice a year--once in spring and again in fall. She said they you not only know if they have parasites but which ones and you can treat appropriately--or not treat if its negative. So far, I have had negative fecal tests but will check again this spring.
47b20s0.gif
Of course she did say if anytime between tests you see what you think are abnormal droppings to check it then too.

What is normal? here is the poop chart: http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0
sickbyc.gif

My feeling is why give poison if its not necessary?

Yep, humans have intestinal parasites and you do not have to travel to a third world country to obtain them. Just like any other creature on this Earth, we all have our own parasites. You have merely to Google this fact....all the info is at your fingertips. Denying the possibility isn't going to make that go away.

I don't deworm my chickens, not because I feel they don't have them, but because they are thriving and healthy despite them! I don't have illness in my flocks and I don't have "lethargic, skinny, pale combs and feet" chickens.

My chicken's upbringing and current lifestyle is enough to build strong immune systems and bodies that are better able to resist worm infestation problems. They may carry a few but these apparently do not have ill affects on their health.

A lot of your flock's health and resistance to the side effects of worms can be traced back to your management/husbandry practices. Free range, nonmedicated feeds, clean water, healthy deep litter in the coop, normal slow down in the winter to promote good immune systems, unpastuerized ACV for probios and vitamins, healthy supplemental feeds like fruits and veggies....all of these contribute to a more healthy flock. Buying and perpetuating breeds that do well in your climate and with your husbandry practices are also key for poultry health in your flock.

Yes, it is possible to have chickens for many years without the need for deworming with traditional deworming agents.

I also have had sheep for over 2 years now that have not needed chemical intervention for parasites. Do they have them? I'm sure of it. Do they have so many that they are anemic and may become sick from them? Nope. They are healthy and thriving, just like the chickens.

It takes more than just throwing chemicals at a problem to effectively manage the health of your livestock.

Back
Top Bottom