worming chickens

Everyone has a different opinion on this issue. Some say don't de worm unless you see worms in stool & others worm a couple times a year. You can find lots of info in the learning center above. Your local feed store should carry de wormers like Wazine 17. Ivermectin is another popular dewormer. Some people also swear by pumkin seeds as a great way to deworm. Good luck :)

Valbazen contains Albendazole which is a broad spectrum wormer. It will kill cecal, tape, roundworms, and capillary worms, which are the most common. Dosage is .5cc by mouth for standard breeds and .25cc for Bantams. Using the same wormer all the time runs the chance of worms building resistance so you should go back and forth with a couple different wormers. Praziquantel pastes are another effective treatment given a small pea sized amount for standard breeds and half that amount for bantams. Lots of folks worm every 6 months or when symptoms and evidence of worms appear. Wormers marketed as natural, homeopathic, do not work, so don't waste your money on them. Keeping the grass cut where they range, keeping a dry environment in the hen house help prevent environments for hosts which transmit worms and their eggs.

Last edited:
Hi, can you use Ivermectin 1.87% (dropped on the back) and is there an egg withdraw period? I use this this Ivermectin to worm horses.

It has been my experience that topical ivermectin doesn't work for worms, lice, or mites in poultry. Many of the Praziquantel oral pastes contain Ivermectin for targeting roundworms. Ivermectin is useless for tapes, cecal, gape, and capillary worms in poultry. Albendazole is safer, more effective on more worms than Fenbendazole or Ivermectin, has a 2 week withdrawal period, which nobody knows the withdrawal period for Ivermectin in poultry. I've used Ivermectin orally for hens when I was less knowledgeable and to be safe I gave a withdrawal period of three weeks before eating eggs. I'm still alive and healthy.

Last edited:
Everyone has a different opinion on this issue. Some say don't de worm unless you see worms in stool & others worm a couple times a year. You can find lots of info in the learning center above. Your local feed store should carry de wormers like Wazine 17. Ivermectin is another popular dewormer. Some people also swear by pumkin seeds as a great way to deworm. Good luck :)

Wazine and oral Ivermectin only kill roundworms.

I use mostly Safeguard/Panacur (10% fenbendazole, liquid or paste) because it can be used in *all* avian species, mammals and reptiles safely. Many of the other wormers have some pretty serious side effects. But if all you're going to worm are chickens, cattle goats and sheep, Valbazen (albendazole) is probably the best wormer available. However, it does have some serious side effects when used on doves, pigeons and crias (like death) - and has been known to cause aplastic anemia in other mammals.

Last edited:
Oh and
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom