? Worms

kwashinger

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2023
Saw this last evening. I have 6 chickens and 3 are molting. Saw 2 droppings that looked like this. Is this worms? My chickens have never had worms that I’m aware of so I’m inexperience in this.

If it’s worm-what’s the best treatment option in molting birds? Is this something that I can purchase or need to go to a vet?

Attachments

• IMG_5514.jpeg
    IMG_5514.jpeg
    744.1 KB · Views: 65
Tapeworm segments usually are moving in a fresh dropping. Has this one been sitting awhile. If it is indeed tapeworms, the chicken who passed this should be treated with Equimax horse paste 0.16 ml for a 5 pound chicken give orally once and is repeated in 14 days to get the eggs that hatch. Other meds can be used that contain praziquantel, such as Droncit tablets and Zimectrin horse paste, but at a different dosage. Let us know which is used for dosage. Getting a fecal float from your vet would be ideal to confirm tapeworms and see if any other worms are present. Here is a good video of tapeworms moving in poop:

Tapeworm segments usually are moving in a fresh dropping. Has this one been sitting awhile. If it is indeed tapeworms, the chicken who passed this should be treated with Equimax horse paste 0.16 ml for a 5 pound chicken give orally once and is repeated in 14 days to get the eggs that hatch. Other meds can be used that contain praziquantel, such as Droncit tablets and Zimectrin horse paste, but at a different dosage. Let us know which is used for dosage. Getting a fecal float from your vet would be ideal to confirm tapeworms and see if any other worms are present. Here is a good video of tapeworms moving in poop:

I unfortunately don’t know which chicken has the worms. Should I treat all of them? Also 3 are molting-is it same to treat them when they are molting?

I’ve read online that safe guard aqua sol oral suspension can be added to their water. Have u used it?

Aquasol, a water soluble form of fenbendazole, will not treat tapeworms. It will treat roundworms, but is too small a dosage for other worms such as gapeworms and capillary worms. You really need a product with praziquantel for tapeworms. If Yolanda narrow done who is passing tapeworm segments, only those need to be treated. Or go ahead and treat them all. The are some old threads her about using Valbazen, but most current info points to praziquantel. The Equimax is easy to get from most feed stores and online. Get a free needle-less syringe for baby medicines at your local pharmacy. Dosage is above in my previous post. If you get Droncit tablets online or Zimectrin horse past, let us know. I really would get a fecal float if possible. Tapeworms are carried by an intermediate host, such as earthworms, beetles, snails, slugs, flies, and grasshoppers. Once a chicken eats one of those or tapeworm eggs in chicken poop on the ground they will have and shed tapeworm Segments. Occasionally one may even see a large section of a tapeworm.

Aquasol, a water soluble form of fenbendazole, will not treat tapeworms. It will treat roundworms, but is too small a dosage for other worms such as gapeworms and capillary worms. You really need a product with praziquantel for tapeworms. If Yolanda narrow done who is passing tapeworm segments, only those need to be treated. Or go ahead and treat them all. The are some old threads her about using Valbazen, but most current info points to praziquantel. The Equimax is easy to get from most feed stores and online. Get a free needle-less syringe for baby medicines at your local pharmacy. Dosage is above in my previous post. If you get Droncit tablets online or Zimectrin horse past, let us know. I really would get a fecal float if possible. Tapeworms are carried by an intermediate host, such as earthworms, beetles, snails, slugs, flies, and grasshoppers. Once a chicken eats one of those or tapeworm eggs in chicken poop on the ground they will have and shed tapeworm Segments. Occasionally one may even see a large section of a tapeworm.

Can equimax be given on a snack to each bird-some of my birds are very hard to handle so I’m concerned about giving something orally.

Saw this last evening. I have 6 chickens and 3 are molting. Saw 2 droppings that looked like this. Is this worms? My chickens have never had worms that I’m aware of so I’m inexperience in this.

If it’s worm-what’s the best treatment option in molting birds? Is this something that I can purchase or need to go to a vet?
Were any of those moving?
It looks like polished oyster shell to me. (oyster shell which has been ground smooth in the gizzard).

👇If you can get the bird to eat the snack with the paste on it or can keep others from stealing snacks, you can do it that way. Equimax is dosed by weight, so have your snacks ready for each bird.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
Can equimax be given on a snack to each bird-some of my birds are very hard to handle so I’m concerned about giving something orally.

Back
Top Bottom