Worming chickens?

This bird was wormed with ivermectin:
For the past year of owning chickens I have used just ivermec sheep pour on for control of parasites and internal worms. I did research and read in several places that in treats All worms.. I found out the hard way that this isn't true.
I purchased a nice silkie about to months ago to join my flock, she seemed a bit lethargic when I got her home so I wormed her with ivermec and put her in quarantine. Over the next few months she didn't improve. I followed all the recommendations for a sick chicken and gave her some different medicines. She died a few days ago.
Because I was curious as to what she died from I did an autopsy, thinking maybe I would find cancer or a blockage In her gut. Wrong again!
I took the courage up and cut her open and took all the guts out. Definitely not for the weak stomach, it smells (and looks) disgusting! Both caecals were inflamed but other then that I couldn't see much wrong.
I them decided to cut her intestine to look inside to check for damage. Thats when u saw it.. The intestines almost burst open! Absolutely infested with round worms! Still all wriggling around. My poor baby! No wonder she died!
If I just did a simple faecal test at the beginning she might still be here but my ignorance and my belief that ivermec was effective probably killed her!

My lesson, buy wormer that's designed for chickens that specifically states kills all worms..

-Kathy

A couple of drops of Ivermectin in the waterer every 6-9 mos (usually in spring for us in east TX b/c that's when the soil warms & worm larvae become active, &/or in fall b/c we don't want probs going into winter), and we are good to go. It's a no-brainer. Once you have seen any animal die an agonizing death from worm infestation knowing that YOU could've easily prevented it, you will worm your animals. You do other things to give your pets & livestock a happy healthy life, why not free them from blood sucking worms? Once again...no-brainer.

At Bresse Farms you can buy a all natural wormer that you don't have to get rid of the eggs its completely safe and works. with chickens on the ground you will always have worms I like to use it every 3 months you mix it in their water you can read all about it on their web site at www.bressefarms.com they have a full line of products for sale on their site that's 100% all natural and safe and the good thing is that they work the main reason people only worm once a year is because you cant keep the eggs for 2-4 weeks you should worm your birds every 3 mo. and with this you can and you don't have to worry about the eggs I use it and it works go to the web site read and judge for yourself everything they sell they use on their farm before its sold if it doesn't work they wont sell it hope this helps you and anyone else who reads this post. Ronnie from Illinois

Why worm during molt? Molt causes stress in birds, worming them during molt causes more stress which could weaken their immune system opening the door for diseases to infect them. People who wait to see a problem are part of the problem. When worms are seen in feces, that means there's an infestation and internal damage has already occured. Poop covered eggs arnt a sign of worms, that's misinformation. That simply means that the fluff/feathers on their butt needs trimming back for a clear 'shot' to the ground to prevent poopy butt fly strike.

This is not related to worming but I was reading your response and am interested in trimming around their bum. I have a couple hens that are larger than the others and tend to have messy feathers from poop. This may be a dumb question but how do you trim them? I'm new to feathered friends and assume you couldn't use dog clippers on them... scissors? Just so it's shorter? We've been dunking their bums in water every few days. Thanks!

A couple of drops of Ivermectin in the waterer every 6-9 mos (usually in spring for us in east TX b/c that's when the soil warms & worm larvae become active, &/or in fall b/c we don't want probs going into winter), and we are good to go.  It's a no-brainer.  Once you have seen any animal die an agonizing death from worm infestation knowing that YOU could've easily prevented it, you will worm your animals.  You do other things to give your pets & livestock a happy healthy life, why not free them from blood sucking worms?  Once again...no-brainer. 

Welcome to BYC!

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but a couple of drops wouldn't be enough medication even if ivermectin was an effective wormer.

-Kathy

& I mean this in the nicest way possible: it depends on the size of ur waterer & the number of chickens

& ivermectin can b an effective wormer if not overused just like any other wormer

Hav been farming/ranching for 2 decades with over a doz species if animals so we use plenty of diff wormers 4 diff animals & purposes: Valbasan, Cydectin, Ivermectin, COWP & something only sold & used in NZ/Australia (my vet has cautioned about naming bc not allowed in US yet). We farm over 150 animals & in my pers experience, Safeguard is about as effective as speaking harshly to worms but like most everything else in farming, everyone has their go-2 wormer so not my place 2 criticize others. Just detailing what works for me. I know small urban chicken owners dont want 2 hear this but culling along with FAMACHA scaling & a responsible SELECTIVE antihelmitic worming prgrm is the BEST way to maintain a healthy herd/flock. Some flock members are more prone 2 worms than others & should b culled.

& I mean this in the nicest way possible: it depends on the size of ur waterer & the number of chickens
How many "drops" would you put into a one gallon waterer for let's say 5 5 pound chickens? And are the drops the 1% injectable?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom