worming chicks

lambergirl

Hatching
12 Years
Aug 7, 2007
Northland, Michigan
I have 4 week old buff orpingtons and they have been outside in the grass. When should I worm them? I purchased Wazine and I have been putting broiler booster, from McMurray Hatchery, in their water. Can I add the Wazine in with it?

I use diatomaceous earth in my birds feed. It is an all natural wormer, safe even for people. I also put it in their dust bath dirt, as it takes care of body parasites as well. Hope this helps....otherwise I'll just
duc.gif

Wazine only takes care of roundworms. You don't necessarily need to worm them right now just because they've been outside. Mine are a year and a half old and have never been wormed. I do use natural preventatives like chopped pumpkin seeds and buttermilk to paralyze and expel whatever worms they might have. I also use food grade Diatomaceous Earth in their feed. I've never seen evidence that they have worms and they've certainly eaten plenty of bugs and earthworms in their lives.

Last edited:
Are you sure they have worms? If they do not have worms I do not recommend broad spectrum worming.

I keep food grade (only!) DE mixed in with my chickens feed. It works.

Back to the Pumpkin seed thing.
What do you do with them? Dry them up, chop them in a food processor, and how do you give the buttermilk? I never heard of this?

I just get the unsalted pumpkin seeds in the bulk nut section of the grocery store or I get a bag of organic pumpkin seeds at the healthfood store-grocery is cheaper. Then sometimes I just add it to their scratch without chopping them, or I chop them a little on a cutting board so they go further and pour some buttermilk in a pan and just throw the seeds in the buttermilk. It's a natural wormer for them.
You don't have to use buttermilk necessarily. Some just feed the chopped seeds, making sure everyone gets some. Then they give them something to make the poop out the paralyzed worms, like maybe a bunch of raisins. I even heard someone covered the raisins in DE, too, for a 1-2 punch. Either way, my Girls have never shown any signs of worms in their lives. They freerange and regularly eat earthworms and beetles, etc.
Another way is to split open an actual pumpkin and let them eat the pumpkin and the seeds. Mine dont like raw pumpkin or squash, but if I cook it, they are gluttons!

Last edited:
Quote:
Just an FYI... diatomaceous earth is NOT safe for humans. You have to be very careful when handling it to make sure that you do not breathe any of the dust into your lungs. Depending on the type of diatomaceous earth that is inhaled will determine the level of health hazard. Pool grade diatomaceous earth is chemically treated and partially melted consequently it contains crystalline silica which will cause Silicosis. Even natural diatomaceous earth can be hazardous if there is anyone (or any animal) with respiratory issues.

I cannot use any type of diatomaceous earth around my boyfriend because he has a severe asthma attack whenever he is exposed.

In addition, make sure that you use gloves with this dust. It will dry out your skin and can cause tiny cuts.

Back
Top Bottom