Worming clarification

leetfreq925

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 7, 2012
Ipswich, MA
I have 3 year old chickens and I think I need to do a round of worming. I have not necessarily seen hard evidence of worms, but there are symptoms such as lethargy that I feel it would be safer to do it rather than not. I have spent quite some time researching the forums on here regarding the best first time treatment for worming. Can someone clarify for me the best course of action?

1) I am planning to do Wazine in their water tomorrow morning first thing (2 oz. in 2 gallons left in run for 24 hours).

2) 10 days after I remove the medicated waterer, I will dose with durvet safeguard goat wormer (1/2 cc in a piece of bread for each chicken).
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HHLVB8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

3) after they are dosed with the safeguard, I will wait 14 days to eat their eggs again. At no time during this process starting tomorrow morning through 24 days later can I OR my chickens eat the eggs produced.

Is this all correct?

Thank you for advice!

I can't comment on your approach since I've only wormed once.
However, I recommend getting a fecal sample tested before worming so you'll know for sure they have intestinal parasites, what species and how heavy the load is. You may have something else going on.
As hard as it is to find a vet to do a read, it is well worth it rather than guessing.

I thought some of my chickens had roundworms earlier this year. After searching long and hard for a vet to read the sample and driving 100 miles round trip. It turned out that my birds had no worms but a serious infestation of clostridia and needed to be treated with tetracycline. I would have been spinning my wheels if I just assumed worms and treated.

You aren't in a particularly warm, humid climate so your birds may have worms but less likely than if you lived in Louisiana.

Back
Top Bottom