Worming in Chickens

Pics

ambe0487

Songster
Jul 6, 2015
Urbandale, IA
I’ve wormed my chickens twice with Invermectin Liquid on the back of each’s neck after finding multiple roundworms droppings with my flock with last doses over a week ago. I was feeling confident I’d had these little buggers gone but this morning I found droppings under the roosting boards with worms. We’ve had unseasonably warm temps and I utilized this time to clean the coop and scoop out a lot of the run debris as well.

I’ve seen a huge improvement in my flock’s vigor over the last three weeks since the original and re-application so I can tell it’s done some good but obviously not enough.

I’m looking for the next step from the experts. I don’t know exactly which one I’m seeing the expulsion from but I know it doesn’t matter because I need to treat the whole flock.

Thank you all for your direction.

I’ve wormed my chickens twice with Invermectin Liquid on the back of each’s neck after finding multiple roundworms droppings with my flock with last doses over a week ago. I was feeling confident I’d had these little buggers gone but this morning I found droppings under the roosting boards with worms. We’ve had unseasonably warm temps and I utilized this time to clean the coop and scoop out a lot of the run debris as well.

I’ve seen a huge improvement in my flock’s vigor over the last three weeks since the original and re-application so I can tell it’s done some good but obviously not enough.

I’m looking for the next step from the experts. I don’t know exactly which one I’m seeing the expulsion from but I know it doesn’t matter because I need to treat the whole flock.

Thank you all for your direction.
Can you post some photos of the droppings?
What dosage of Ivermectin did you use?

If you are still seeing worms, it would be better to use a broader spectrum dewormer like Valbazen or Safeguard (Fenbendazole) both of these will take care of most worms in poultry. Dosage for Valbazen is 1/2ml given orally, then repeat in 10 days.
Safeguard (Fenbendazole) dosage is .23ml per pound of weight given for 5 days in a row.

For roundworms only, Wazine can be used.

There are no hard or fast rules for egg withdrawal periods, a lot depends on your comfort level of what you feel would be safe for drug residues in eggs/meat. For Ivermectin a good guideline would be 30 days after last treatment is given. For Valbazen or Fenbendazole, that would be 14 days after last treatment.

@wyrop rock. I don’t have any photos of the droppings. I’m only finding them in the coop in the morning and I throw them over the fence into the woods wher the chickens don’t have access. I’ll try and get a photo tomorrow morning.

As for dosage- here are my dosages as my chickens vary greatly in size

88B0B09B-C8E8-4C37-B7D1-F39CB4492AB0.jpeg

@wyrop rock. I don’t have any photos of the droppings. I’m only finding them in the coop in the morning and I throw them over the fence into the woods wher the chickens don’t have access. I’ll try and get a photo tomorrow morning.

As for dosage- here are my dosages as my chickens vary greatly in size

View attachment 1628169
Thank you!
Drops can vary by "size" slightly depending on what you are using.
Ivermectin Pour On dose is 0.09 ml per pound of weight, so a 5 pound chicken would get a dose of 0.45 ml, repeat in 10-14days.

Personally, I would use the Safeguard or Valbazen.

Thank you!
Drops can vary by "size" slightly depending on what you are using.
Ivermectin Pour On dose is 0.09 ml per pound of weight, so a 5 pound chicken would get a dose of 0.45 ml, repeat in 10-14days.
:goodpost:
Yeah, one drop of water from a 1 or 3 ml syringe is about 0.02 ml, so I don't think enough was given. :(

Personally, I would use the Safeguard or Valbazen.
X2. Even is the proper amount of ivermectin is given it might not treat anything except for large roundworms.

Bang for the buck, Valbazen is the way to go.

Do you have a link for Valbazen? I’m not finding it on Amazon so I wasn’t sure if I”m missing what I’m looking for.
Thanks
I got some Safeguard ordered so I can at least give them a dose and follow up
The Safeguard will work.

I didn't see Valbazen on Amazon either. I've ordered it from Ebay before. A lot of supplies I never seem to be able to get from Amazon. Sometimes you may need to go through a supply house like JeffersPet or Revival Health.

Back
Top Bottom