Worming question?

sammi_lynn12

Songster
Sep 14, 2022
Grovertown, IN
I have not wormed my girls since getting them as chicks in Sept 2022. I have not seen any in their poop and everyone is happy and healthy. They will be free ranging more when the weather turns nicer so I am thinking I should stay ahead of it and worm them as a preventative.

I have no clue what I can use for them or the dosage amounts. Would anyone be able to dumb it down for me and tell me what products I can use for them and include dosages?

I would prefer if I can just add it to their water or something I can put on a snack and feed them individually.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Getting a fecal float is the best way to know if you need to deworm your flock.

If that's not an option, then you can use Safeguard Liquid Goat Dewormer or Valbazen. These will treat most worms that poultry can have, except for Tapeworm (which would require Praziquantel).

Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

Here's how to give meds orally.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Or consider not worming them if you have no reason to suspect they have a load causing health issues. One middle of road suggestion is put chili powder in their food and it will indeed help them expel some worms.

There is no such thing as "preventative worming". The worming meds work on worms that are present. They won't prevent future infection if they are exposed later. So it's only necessary to worm if you have parasites. If you are able to get a fecal done, I would recommend doing that. If it's clear, recheck in 6 months. If that one is clear then I'd just do that yearly and go from there. If you end up finding parasites at some point, then your worming schedule will depend on how often it's needed to keep your flock healthy, and that can vary greatly flock to flock, and depending on the specific parasite. Symptoms of worms can vary from no symptoms at all, or runny mucousy droppings, increased intestinal shed, weight loss, and in severe cases they can become blocked, anemic, and have secondary intestinal infections. If you cannot get a fecal done, then I would worm if you see symptoms that suggest it may be parasites. Many parasites are not seen in droppings at all, occasionally roundworm or tapeworm segments may be seen.
There are a lot of things that people do 'preventatively" with herbs and such. Those generally do no harm, but if you actually have a parasite infection then you need to use the chemical wormers to get rid of them, the herbs won't do it.

Getting a fecal float is the best way to know if you need to deworm your flock.

If that's not an option, then you can use Safeguard Liquid Goat Dewormer or Valbazen. These will treat most worms that poultry can have, except for Tapeworm (which would require Praziquantel).

Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

Here's how to give meds orally.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
Thank you so much!

I just grab a tube of dewormer for my horses and spin the dial to the correct weight and give it orally. I wish they had something that easy for chickens!

Generally there is a 2 week withdrawal period after the last dosing.
However, we eat the eggs after using Valbazen (albendazole), still here typing. Albendazole is also given to humans as a wormer.
However, if you suspect that you or a family member might have a reaction to the minute residue in the eggs, by all means toss them in the garbage for 2 weeks.

Generally there is a 2 week withdrawal period after the last dosing.
However, we eat the eggs after using Valbazen (albendazole), still here typing. Albendazole is also given to humans as a wormer.
However, if you suspect that you or a family member might have a reaction to the minute residue in the eggs, by all means toss them in the garbage for 2 weeks.
Just got a lifetime supply of Valben... 500ml @ 57$. A prev thread said 1/2 cc per standard size chicken, given orally. Repeat in 10 days. Sound right?

Back
Top Bottom