1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Worming Question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Catwmn, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Catwmn

Catwmn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2010
    Willis, TX
    I have approximately forty barnyard chickens. They are all roughly 9 months to two years old and have never been wormed. Recently we have had a HUGE drop in egg production. I went from nearly two dozen eggs a day down to just getting 8. Four days ago one of my lakenvelder hens had a messy bottom when I opened the coop and right underneath her was a load of poop that had worms crawling in it. AHA!! Wormy chickens will cause egg production drops! DUH!!

Now, I have always tried to go the natural route with my chickens. It became clear to me that I had a big problem and it was time to break out the big guns. My diatomaceous earth/garlic/cayenne mixture had failed me. It's ok. I'm over it.

SO, I went and bought a bottle of Wazine 17. Today they all got wazine in the water. I have a bottle of Valbazen coming tomorrow in the mail.

I have read tons of threads on worming and I think I have this right.

Wazine today.

Ten days from now Valbazen.
    .5cc for large fowl
    .25 cc for bantams

My question is, do I really need to wait ten days after using Wazine to give the Valbazen? Will it hurt them to just do it on Friday when my husband will be here to help me do it?

Do I need to repeat the Valbazen ten days after the inital Valbazen dose to get the new parasites that have hatched?

If I wait ten days that is literally over thirty days I will be tossing eggs. I really didn't want to do that.

Will Valbazen treat Gapeworm as well? I have one hen who seems to gasp a lot with her mouth open.

Thanks so much!!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Dawg 53 is the worm expert on BYC. I think you should skip the wazine, and just use the valbazen 1/2 ml now and repeat in 10 days. Wazine only gets the round worms, and it isn't necessary to use wazine first since valbazen kills gently over several days. Egg withdrawal is 14 days after the last worming.

3. Catwmn

Catwmn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2010
    Willis, TX
    Unfortunately I have already given the Wazine to them today. I guess what I need to know now is if It's ok to give them the Valbazen tomorrow or the next day instead of waiting the ten days after wazine to give it to them.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm thinking I wouldn't give it that soon, but Dawg53 might chime in on that one.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Call Texas A&M and ask them.

-Kathy

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Although it wouldnt hurt to give your birds valbazen tomorrow, what about worm larva hatched from eggs within about the next 10 days? You really should redose them in about 10 days.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    According to an abstract that Dawg has, the most effective dose of Valbazen is 20mg/kg (~.2ml per 2.2pound) if remember correctly, lol. :D

-Kathy

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by