Worming questions

Note that all of the de-worming into in that link is incorrect. I usually love that site, but they really messed that page up. Everyone, please ignore the dosing info there.
X2 I've dealt with tapeworms. The information that @Eggcessive and @casportpony have put out is 100% correct.

I have a couple more questions please. Sorry if they seem silly but I'm really new here. I read somewhere that her eggs could also contain worms. True or false? And if so, I have boiled them and feed them to the whole flock as I have chicks and the momma hen was molting. I did boil them though. Have I possibly spread them to others? So should we not eat them or feed them back to the flock? And is there egg withdrawal with this medication? Thank you very much in advance for answers.

Generally there's a 14 day egg withdrawal period after worming. It's not common for worms to show up in eggs. However when it happens, it's normally a roundworm slipping into the oviduct then encased in a shell. Even then, it's not common that this happens. I've never heard of nor seen a tapeworm nor tapeworm segment encased in an egg. It has never happened to me, nor a roundworm encased in a shell.

After treatment, do not feed eggs back to your birds. There's residue in the eggs and there's the chance of increasing resistance to the wormer if needed again in the future, not to mention extending the withdrawal period.
Worm eggs are encased in a protective shell and can withstand extreme temps in the environment/soil. I'm not sure about boiling eggs, never did it because of the wormer residue in the eggs, I tossed them in the garbage.

Keep in mind that in order for chickens to get infected with tapeworms, the chicken must eat an infected insect. This is called the Indirect lifecycle. Controlling insects on your property may help. However not all insects will be host for tapeworms. It's hit and miss and I dont bother treating my property for insects...except fire ants.

Roundworms on the other hand are picked up by birds pecking soil. In doing so they swallow the eggs. Then the eggs are excreted from the chickens and become infective. The birds peck the soil again and swallow infective eggs and then the birds become infected. This is called the Direct lifecycle.
There are certain roundworms that can be picked up by birds, both Direct and Indirect lifecycles...gapeworms and eyeworms come to mind.

Back
Top Bottom