Worming questions

Futuregreenefarm

Songster
May 9, 2019
Morganton, GA
I am so sorry to repeat the same questions. I have searched and read on here and I admit, it just confused me. Sorry! I want to make sure I do this right. My pullet (the only one laying) has worms. I think this is tapeworm segments maybe?
Screenshot_20191108-134716.png
I can't handle my chickens readily so if I have to dose individually, it will be a task. Can I get the valbazen and soak it in bread and feed it to her? Or am I totally wrong with type and med?? Thank you for your help.

It looks like tapeworm segments. Was this a fresh dropping just dropped, and were the segments moving? The best wormer for tapes is one with praziquantel. Equimax horse wormer which can be found at Tractor Supply and other stores is one that can be used. Dosage of Equimax is 0.03 ml per pound or 0.15 ml for a 5 pound chicken. Repeat in 14 days. If using another wormer with praziquantel, such as Zimectrin Gold, the dosage would be different.

The biggest problem with tapeworms is that the intermediate hosts have to be removed from the environment. Chicken poop, worms, snails and slugs, flies, and other ps are hosts, and if your chicken eats those, they may reinfect themselves.

Not all chickens have to be treated, just the one who is shedding the tapeworm segments. You can get tapeworms confirmed with a fecal float by your vet.

Since you do have concerns with the dosing amd treatment consult with a vet as opposed to just administering a horse preventative to a chicken ...the size difference betwwen the species is substantial
The advice that @Eggcessive has given is 100% correct.

Thank you all for your help.

I mean no disrespect, honest, but I looked up fenbendazole supplied in the attachment and it is an equine dewormer also as best I can tell. Seems the same, just a different brand maybe? I'll pick up the equimax or equivalent that my local TS has in stock. Thanks again.
Horse paste is perfectly fine to use. :D

TSC should have the Equimax, but might also have Zimectrin Gold. Both have praziquantel and ivermectin, but Equimax has twice as much praziquantel, and that is what the dose recommended is based on. If the product you buy does not have the exact amounts of praziquantel and ivermectin, just let us know what the amounts are and we will calculate a new dose for you.

Note that all of the de-worming into in that link is incorrect. I usually love that site, but they really messed that page up. Everyone, please ignore the dosing info there.
X2 I've dealt with tapeworms. The information that @Eggcessive and @casportpony have put out is 100% correct.

Generally there's a 14 day egg withdrawal period after worming. It's not common for worms to show up in eggs. However when it happens, it's normally a roundworm slipping into the oviduct then encased in a shell. Even then, it's not common that this happens. I've never heard of nor seen a tapeworm nor tapeworm segment encased in an egg. It has never happened to me, nor a roundworm encased in a shell.

After treatment, do not feed eggs back to your birds. There's residue in the eggs and there's the chance of increasing resistance to the wormer if needed again in the future, not to mention extending the withdrawal period.
Worm eggs are encased in a protective shell and can withstand extreme temps in the environment/soil. I'm not sure about boiling eggs, never did it because of the wormer residue in the eggs, I tossed them in the garbage.

Keep in mind that in order for chickens to get infected with tapeworms, the chicken must eat an infected insect. This is called the Indirect lifecycle. Controlling insects on your property may help. However not all insects will be host for tapeworms. It's hit and miss and I dont bother treating my property for insects...except fire ants.

Roundworms on the other hand are picked up by birds pecking soil. In doing so they swallow the eggs. Then the eggs are excreted from the chickens and become infective. The birds peck the soil again and swallow infective eggs and then the birds become infected. This is called the Direct lifecycle.
There are certain roundworms that can be picked up by birds, both Direct and Indirect lifecycles...gapeworms and eyeworms come to mind.

Thank you all for your help.

I mean no disrespect, honest, but I looked up fenbendazole supplied in the attachment and it is an equine dewormer also as best I can tell. Seems the same, just a different brand maybe?
I'll see what my local TS has tomorrow.
Thanks again everyone.

Back
Top Bottom